NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution from synscan handset!

Just tried taking some darks by putting cap on scope and leaving the camera in situ. Noticed a red gradient on the darks which turned out to be synscan handset that was shining at the bottom of the scope, near the primary.

Makes me wonder how many of the gradients I get are caused by either the synscan handset or the little red lights on the cigarette plugs?

The scope is letting light in through the Primary seating. I must take care to make sure this pollution is cut out... immediately!

That's a good tip about covering over the viewfinder.  I've not bothered to do this yet and haven't seen any strange noise but then when taking darks it's usually parked at the home position with the camera pointing therefore pretty much at the ground where there's very little light pollution coming up... I've since popped on the viewfinder cover instead just in case!  I can imagine though that mirrored scopes are going to be somewhat more susceptible for taking darks though?

I my ED80 light was entering through the focuser itsself (see http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241143-light-leak-in-skywatcher-evostar-80ed/)

For darks i now always remove the camera.

Kind regards, Graem

Glad I caught this before making an extensive dark library.  I've done mine so far (only just started really) with the camera attached to the scope (SW 80ED).  I'll take a dark with the camera off and capped and compare the result against one that was taken attached to the scope (obviously at the same temp and ISO)  

@Dave.

I was trying to make darks with it attached to ED80 in the apartment in daylight, that was the biggest problem.

I guess if you leave it attached and turn of all lights (really all) then it could be ok.

But doesn't really hurt to remove camera and make darks.

Except if you have got a flats-library like me and do not want any rotation of camera :) But thats another issue...

Kind regards, Graem

just use a black shower cap on the bottom of your scope and on the shoulder strap there is a rubber cap for the view finder

Hiya

I have two 1100d's and a 550d plus the straps. None of my straps have a viewfinder "cap" attached to them? However, all three cameras have eyecups on them but they don't work as caps as such? So I tape over with insulating tape.

Louise

At the end of my first session with my 150PDS I realised the odd light pollution bloom I was getting was changing distribution as I switched targets to a different area of the sky.

I peeked over the edge of my balcony (second floor flat, yes I know), and realised my block's insanely bright road entrance lamp had an angle to shine straight up at the unprotected end of the scope. I promptly found a waterproof wooly hat, and masking-taped it across the bottom of the scope. Problem vanished.

I didn't think of the EOS viewfinder. I'll block that next session. Obvious in hindsight, but all great ideas are!

On some reflectors the dust cap fit in the mirror end. well it do on my 250 pds.

I think the 150pds collimation screws may protrude too far to make that possible, but I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion.

Archived