Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sony A7s on Takahashi Epsilon

sharkmelley

For those who wonder what liveview looks like when using a modified Sony A7S on a fast scope like the Takahashi Epsilon 180 ED, here's your answer:

https://youtu.be/z80vnWCLc3o

I must stress that this is not a timelapse, so the quality is nothing like the timelapse videos you are accustomed to seeing - I recorded this in real time at 4 frames/sec at ISO 160000.  It is exactly what you are able to see in real time on the back of camera LCD (except that YouTube has further compressed the original MP4 video)

I used an IDAS D1 light pollution because my sky quality is not that good near the horizon.  At a good dark sky site without LP filter, the video quality would be much better.

There is a lot of amp glow when using liveview and/or video (many low light videographers are complaining to Sony) but this amp glow quickly disappears when taking long exposures.

Mark

Lovely live video Mark and incredible amount of signal/detail from such short exposures. The amp glow is bright, but a limited area on the large sensor. Sure that PIPP would be able to crop this, though not in realtime.

• 2 weeks later...

I just Can't stop to watch the LIVE VIDEO.. did download the video on USB stick and did watch it on my 55 INCH TV :confused: !!

It is amazing.. what a cool idea.. :huh:

Have to try same, somehow..! evene if I have to get same sony Camera !! :cool: 

Martin :police:

Wow - thanks all, for your comments!  When I started to see these objects live on the back of the camera I realised it was an experience that needed to be shared ;)

This camera certainly has some great strengths but it also has weaknesses that potential buyers should be aware of.  For those who have not already seen it, I have done a review here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/243671-review-of-the-sony-a7s/

Thanks again.

Mark

Totally agree karl.. it's great seeing stacked and post processed images taken from video cameras.

but you can't beat true video capture it let's anyone thinking of getting into va side see what's achievable. Even astrophotographers will be taken aback by the sheer beauty of this capture

• 7 months later...

Its better than doing a partial Messier marathon in a few minutes without the dark skies, icy weather, weary eyes after hours peering at screens, lcd's and w/out the 1000s £'s layout of a topend 10" APO Triplet or 20" Dob ,all the accessories/filters and of course perfect seeing conditions! :headbang::hello2:

I know that the banding and non bulb/wifi connectivity issues are essentially a serious AP killer ,but as a real time live "view" of Ha objects it's nothing short of miraculous!

Thanks again for sharing...let's hope Sony and the other manufacturers like Canon and Nikon take heed and some time in the not too distant future can integrate alll of our AP requirements into 1 body at a "reasonable" price.Plus of course some simple swop in / out mechanism for exchanging internal with external fillters w/out having to go through laborious and potentially risky mods to produce a more sensitive AP imaging camera for Ha, IR, Full Spectrum , etc

We can dream huh.. :)))

Like for clear skies just once a week over the UK?

Archived