SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Huge filament visible 25/5/2015

Stu

Will go and have a better look at this in a minute, but there is a monster filament very nicely positioned on the sun today. It has lovely contrast and detail to it.

Towards the bottom (as viewed with Quark), there is another large but diffuse filament which shows nicely.

Some nice little proms too, but it was the filaments which really caught my eye.

Stu

Yes managed a couple of hours this afternoon between the cloud's and there were two large filaments

and several proms. One prom at 1 o clock really nice. Piggy backed the LS60 PT on the back of the

Equinox 120 so I could view in white light and Ha sat in the same seat should of done this ages ago

so much easier.

Nice update Stu that looks like one heck of a filament, hopefully some clear blue sky tomorrow afternoon and get a chance to see it :smiley: Looking ok for more Lunar tonight though.

Viewing the two long filaments today. The one has to be over 50% of the diameter of the Sun. It will be interesting when it reaches the western edge.

Cracking aren't they Mark. Haven't had a chance since, forecast not looking good either.

so much more to the sun than i imagined, I just thought it was limited to spots and flares!

It's really fascinating to observe. Normally something going on in either white light or Ha

too bad i dont have disposable income, or id get one of those Coranados ive been seeing advertised

If you have a scope you can at least get started in white light using Baader Solar film.

If you have a scope you can at least get started in white light using Baader Solar film.

I had read that the optics in most scopes cant handle the heat generated when viewing he sun even with filters

I had read that the optics in most scopes cant handle the heat generated when viewing he sun even with filters

If you use the right stuff then this is not true. It IS true for things like the Quark or Herschel wedge where you cannot use them with newts or compound scopes without serious damage, but if you use Solar film as a full aperture cover for the front of the scope then it prevents any heat build up in the scope.

It's only about £20 for a sheet, comes with instructions for a DIY filter. Obviously you always have to be very careful and methodical when observing the sun, but if you educate yourself about it and take care then it can be done safely.

Ask any questions you like on the forum, you will get excellent help

If you use the right stuff then this is not true. It IS true for things like the Quark or Herschel wedge where you cannot use them with newts or compound scopes without serious damage, but if you use Solar film as a full aperture cover for the front of the scope then it prevents any heat build up in the scope.

It's only about £20 for a sheet, comes with instructions for a DIY filter. Obviously you always have to be very careful and methodical when observing the sun, but if you educate yourself about it and take care then it can be done safely.

Ask any questions you like on the forum, you will get excellent help

I will look into this, thank you very much, maybe next month i can convince the people in power for a small purchase

Filaments still looking good, Sun came out between the downpours, just threw the obs'y roof open had a quick look and took one video and closed it again as it started raining again :)

Dave

Archived