Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Good laser pointer recommendation ?

I am looing for a good laser pointer for pointing star.

I see all kind of different laser pointer at a price ranging from 4.99£ to 79.99£ and from 1mW to 5mW power

What would be the minimum mW to buy for astronomy ? I heard that green ones are better in term of human eye response and that 5mW is not legal in some countries (Europe ?)

Anyone could recommend a good brand and proprer mW  for casual use ?

Cheers!

This Country and some others, permits the use of a 1mW  laser for educational use, additionally trained operatives are permitted to use up to 5mW, which is the maximum power rating, agreed by Health and Safety regulating bodies I believe. At this rating eye damage is not likely to be caused if any person is accidently caught by the beam in the face.

Astronomers on the whole seem to choose the 5mW rating, as in cold weather this unit seems to performs the best. As for brand, you pays your money and takes your choice, I spent around 15 GBP for mine and have had no bother with it.

Additional note of caution to bear in mind, I seem to recall the beam can extend some 10 miles into the night sky, but at this height it has a negative effect. It is, therefore, common sense, not to use the unit if you are in the vicinity or flight path of any aircraft.  :)

i think all of them you have to be very careful , theres a lot of fools out there . im sure sombody will be along soon to point you in the right direction

Yes there are some horror stories out there ;) I saw one that has a child lock on it (with key!) which I find to be a good idea ...

This Country and some others, permits the use of a 1mW  laser for educational use, additionally trained operatives are permitted to use up to 5mW, which is the maximum power rating, agreed by Health and Safety regulating bodies I believe. At this rating eye damage is not likely to be caused if any person is accidently caught by the beam in the face. Astronomers on the whole seem to choose the 5mW rating, as in cold weather this unit seems to performs the best. As for brand, you pays your money and takes your choice, I spent around 15 GBP for mine and have had no bother with it :)

please do share the model :) 15£ is less expensive that I would have thought

A Google search for the regulations in your chosen location will give you the local law.

Here we are limited, as John (Glowjet ) quotes above. Also we are not allowed to use any laser pointer within certain limits of an airport. If memory serves it is 10 miles if in line with a runway, a bit less to the sides.

Nigel

"please do share the model :) 15£ is less expensive that I would have thought"

It is many years ago since I acquired my unit, it came in a nice leather pouch, but no manufacturers name. This was in the days that the Bay had them on their site, in unbelievable quantities, most at illegal ratings. A search to-day reveals that the law has obviously had some effect and only <1mW to 1mW are for sale in abundance, with one outlet advertising a 5mW pen for Astronomical use, at under £10 FP, which is similar to the one I have. Search "Green 5mW laser" HTH :)

I was surprised to see that I could find 200,500 even 1000mW sold online. Just to be safe I went for a 5mW.. not to powerfull and enough for cold nights. I paid 10€ on Amazon France.

I hope they have an astronomy club in prison if I ever get caught !

Buy the 1000mw then. :eek: :eek:

At least when they lock you up you can cut your way out. :grin: :grin:

I was thinking of using it to prune the tree that is blocking my south view :)

Two things to help you. They seep battery power , if left in.

They hate the cold, keep them warm in a handy pocket. No use bringing it out and seeing your beam zapped to nothing,

Nick.

good advice, I'll keep that in mind

I bought one of these. It works fine, with a nice bright beam, but does require a little warming up sometimes (hold the button in for a few moments).

And it was only £2.40 inc P+P. I nearly bought two at that price. Minus batteries obviously though.

Wasn't too sure of the quality I was going to get at that price, but I decided it wasn't a lot of money to lose, so gave it a shot. Turns out it's actually a decent little laser.

About 90% of eBay laser ratings are not correct. Green lasers can be very hazardous (much more so than red) and generally, if they look very bright, should be treated with extreme caution. Even a 1mW green laser, if damaged or incorrectly aligned, can easily leak 100mW or more as infra red output which *WILL* damage the eye with a single flash.

A considerable number lasers described as 'high power' or 20mW or 'will cut tape' lasers on eBay turned into 'less than 1mW' overnight when eBay changed their rules ...  

AndyG

About 90% of eBay laser ratings are not correct. Green lasers can be very hazardous (much more so than red) and generally, if they look very bright, should be treated with extreme caution. Even a 1mW green laser, if damaged or incorrectly aligned, can easily leak 100mW or more as infra red output which *WILL* damage the eye with a single flash.

A considerable number lasers described as 'high power' or 20mW or 'will cut tape' lasers on eBay turned into 'less than 1mW' overnight when eBay changed their rules ...  

AndyG

I am disapointed that I could not find a pointer with a key/lock for a fair price that had a good review .. I went for a cheap 10€ one and I'll see how it goes. For now, no one will be allowed to touch it but me and I'll be extra careful as I have a small 5yrs old child.

Eventually, I'll get one with a key, even if I had to put some more € ...  I'll feel more at ease knowing that it can't be accidentally turned on :sad:

Archived