NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon D5100 Monotec narrow bands

Herra Kuulapaa

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful :)  Impressive is an understatement :)

Making me wonder if I should sell one of my Atik 460s and get back to debayering DSLRs :D  I still have a cash flow problem but not as bad having sold my last 314L+ :D

Thanks Gina,

If I had Atik 460, then I wouldn't have to mess with low end DSLRs. Although, these so called low end DSLRs seem to work real nice :smiley:

Now it's just up to collect more Ha data to make details more prominent. At lest couple of days cloudy, but after that it should get clear again.

I'm far from sure my 460EX images are any better than your debayered DSLR ones :D  But then it could be that your processing is far better than mine :)  I agree that in theory the results from a dedicated astro mono CCD camera should be a lot better than those from a CMOS sensor (or is the Nikon a CMOS?)

OTOH it could be that your skies are much better than ours :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's funny how the weather plays tricks on us. For example in my case it has been completely cloudy for one month now (excluding one short window of four hours but anyway), and now when it clears up, I have a work trip booked. So no astro imaging :(

When I get back it gets cloudy again. But next week, it should be nice and clear :)

Anyway, I tested 50mm/1.8G lens in Ha for wide fields:

50mm_pieni.jpg

For some reason the stars on the edges were horrible and I really mean horrible, even with the crop sensor. Anyone planning same with a monochrome camera note that D-model doesn't focus infinity, but G does.

Anyway, I had to stop it down to f/4 to get decent images. Not the super fast imaging rig I was wishing for. I have feeling that D-model wasn't this bad but I may remember it wrong. Also the Ha filter may have something to do with it.

• 5 months later...

Too many cameras and so few clear weekend nights ;)

I took the Nikon D5100 monochrome back on duty along its big brother D600. I took already some tests with D600 and unity gain ISO500: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/250891-nikon-d600-monochrome-images/?hl=%2Bd600+%2Bmonochrome#entry2736129

And now my plan was to test how D5100 behaves with such low ISO. Last season I shot with ISO1600 with it. Unity gain (1 photon = 1 ADU) in D5100 is near ISO320, but I decided to use ISO400. With that ISO the full well capacity is approx 10.000e-, compared to only half and 1/4 of that with ISO 800 and 1600. So, the dynamic range is also larger, which helps to avoid star saturation. Main idea however is to have as pure signal as possible and avoid camera digital gain. The Nikonhacker dark current mod helps in that.

Crescent_1200.jpg

Monochrome Nikon D5100 with true dark current mod, 6x600s Ha, ISO400 during the full moon

So far it looks just good :)

Archived