SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Thought I'd give it a go......

spaceboy

FINALLY some patches clear skies !!!!! :smiley:

Spent most of the day WL & Ha observing but thought I'd try my luck at some imaging while I was out there.

This is my first proper effort at Ha. I don't think I have the most ideal of set ups to get best out of the sun but none the less I'm still happy with the results.

LS60 SS, BF600, 600D, x2 TV barlow, Baader UV/IR filter

A single frame: ISO 800, 1/4 sec & and a mess in PS

Needless to say I lost the proms in processing (although I've an idea how to mask and add them after ??) and I don't really know how to add false colour. I did so in curves but it is really hit and miss to get a pleasing colour. Converted to JPEG so hope the compression hasn't robbed it of too much.

Any advice welcomed :)

post-8355-0-53522700-1422114877_thumb.jp

Excellent shot for a single frame.

When I was using a DSLR with the PST I would take two exposures, one for the proms that was over exposed and then basically copy/paste the disc over the prom shot. Also it is best to open up your pic in photoshop and only use the Red channel as there will be more detail in that. Photosbykev has a good article on his website about using a dslr for Ha.

ALl that said I never had an image that was as nice as the one you have posted so an excellent start.

http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/photography/pst-solar-imaging/

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think the hardest thing was trying to get the focus and exposure just right as you can't see a darn think on those little EOS screens in sunlight.

JB80 I will give it a go trying 2 exposures next chance I get. The problem I was finding is as you adjust the exposure the colour on the screen changes so much it was making it difficult to see if the image is sharp or not. I assume this is not a problem experienced with mono. I tried a custom WB but there was no controlling the colour shift.

I have seen some good planetary images with DSLR's of late as I think there was a program wrote for people who only have use of DSLR's. I have a mono SPC but the problem I have is accurate tracking in the day time. Also with the small chip on the SPC I ideally need 4 panes where as the DSLR does it in one.

Archived