SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

3nm Astrodons. Worth a punt?

DaveS

Just thinking, how do they stack up against Baader NB in actual use?

Given my level of LP, especially low to the south I need all the help I can get for imaging. Now my Baader filters are pretty good in general and I think have a higher transmission in the pass band but was wondering how this would play against the higher contrast of the Astrodons. Contrast vs exposure times?

So I'm looking for people's real experience with these filters, especially in you're fighting LP as I am.

If I did go the Astrodon route I would probably get the full set of [sII], [NII] Ha and [OIII] in 1.25" for my SX 694. Not sure I can afford the set of 50mm ones if I wanted a larger format camera.

I *may* be looking at other 'scopes in the future, possibly an 89mm f/4.3 Borg and / or a Celestron Edge HD 8 + reducer, though these are just pushing ideas around ATM. A Triplet apo from AA is also a possibility.

Just thinking, how do they stack up against Baader NB in actual use?

Given my level of LP, especially low to the south I need all the help I can get for imaging. Now my Baader filters are pretty good in general and I think have a higher transmission in the pass band but was wondering how this would play against the higher contrast of the Astrodons. Contrast vs exposure times?

So I'm looking for people's real experience with these filters, especially in you're fighting LP as I am.

If I did go the Astrodon route I would probably get the full set of [sII], [NII] Ha and [OIII] in 1.25" for my SX 694. Not sure I can afford the set of 50mm ones if I wanted a larger format camera.

I *may* be looking at other 'scopes in the future, possibly an 89mm f/4.3 Borg and / or a Celestron Edge HD 8 + reducer, though these are just pushing ideas around ATM. A Triplet apo from AA is also a possibility.

Going by the saga of my now gone Baader Oiii, I'd say that if you can afford the dosh for the Astrodons then go for them, they are certainly the best and the most expensive comercially available filters. The baader LRGB however, are excellent and a bargain. I use both Baader and Astronomiks.

A.G

Thanks AG. I can easily afford a set but don't want to spend money unwisely.

I know Astrodons are the most expensive filters, but I'm old enough and cynical enough not to equate "most expensive" with "best" without independent corroboration, hence my question.

Time to raid the piggy bank?

On the reports of others I'll hang on to my Baader LRGB set.

I changed from Baader 7nm's to the Astrodons. They are a great set of filters in my opinion. The data that I get from them is much less noisy than the Baaders were and the stars are smaller and contrast more. Anything that makes the processing that little easier is a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

I think that the upgrade for me has been worth every penny.

I had some unwanted halos with baaders, im now using a set of the 5nm astrodons for nb, i didnt feel the need to get the narrow versions, in various tests i have seen over the last year im still not sold on them been the essential filter, the standard work fine.

I went for the 3nm OIII as that's the worst wavelength for moon glare I gathered.  5nm SII covers the nitrogen as well as sulphur so saves a separate filter.  The 5nm Ha gave best match for the 3nm OII according to Astrodon at the time I bought the filters but I now wonder having seen some really superb images with the 3nm Ha.

I bought the 3nm Ha from Astrodon to replace my 12nm Astronomik filter and I love it. Yes they're not cheap, but my moto in life is "Buy nice or buy twice". If you can afford the 'best' (best not necessarily most expensive) then go for it.

I haven't noticed a loss from NII either, though I'm very new to this imaging lark (less than 6 months) so I don't really know what I'm looking for to be honest :)

I think you'll be very happy with them

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Dave

I just received my 3nm Astrodon OIII from IKI too (+ 5nm Ha and SII). Unfortunately I think this filter will have to be returned - there's a hair stuck between the filter and the retaining ring!

In fact all 3 Astrodons arrived covered in dust motes. This is not unusual, according to Ian King, who has mentioned this to the supplier several times before. The Baader LRGB set I received were immaculate in comparison.

Regards

John

Thanks for the warning John.

On close inspection I can see the odd dust mote on mine, so will have to give them a dusting with my carbon-fiber brush before installation.

Somewhat remiss on the part of Astrodon given their cost.

Archived