Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Portable powerpack for NEQ6?

Hi guys, I've had my NEQ6 for a week or so now (not been able to use it obviously(!)) but I have spent that time trying to research portable power supplies for it, and I'm still stuck on what a good solution is!

Can anyone just simply link me to something that will work, perhaps isn't TOO heavy (god knows the mount and 250px are heavy enough to be lugging up the hill!!) . I know its meant to be 12vdc 2amp+ but are the car jump starters the best bet or are there other solutions? (i wont be able to run a long cable so mains power isn't really an option).

Thanks!

I am new to astronomy but know a bit a batteries.

The 'power pack' things sold by Maplins etc are completely the wrong thing for what you want. They are designed for high CCA (Cold cranking Amps) for a short period of time. What you need is low amps for a long period of time.

Used for astronomy a 'power pack' will not last long as they are not designed for deep discharge.

The best solution is a small 'leisure' battery - one designed for small amounts of power over a long time and capable of being repeatedly deep discharged.

Something like this - http://www.batterytrader.com/electric-leisure-buddy-wheelchair-batteries-p-27431.html?gclid=CKrD_crjvLwCFZHJtAodO3YA6g&currency=GBP would power an EQ6 for about 10 hours depending how much slewing you do

Or http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-SLC26-12-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Battery-P221.html would give you 20 hours again dependant on how much slewing, how well balanced, ambient temperature etc

HTH

Assuming the NEQ6 is 12v I second the deep cycle leisure battery particularly GEL or AGM will last you a long time. You can bet there will be umpteen posts in the next few hours saying how wonderful Maplins and Halfords Jump Start widgets are and I am sure they do the job..................for a time, but do you really want to jump start your NEQ6? They are made for quick release of energy, not slow continuous release.

Thank you very much :) how would I go about connecting one of the above to to mount as they don't look like they come with suitable cables! :) thanks

Again assuming the NEQ6 has a cigarette type plug and fuse you can just attach a female socket to the terminals of the battery. Make sure you get the polarity correct as specified for the mount.

I power my HEQ5 in this way with battery similar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/190636448073?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=95&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=95 The more AmpHours the more equipment you can attach or more time you will have but they do get heavy!!!!! I can easily carry the 22Ah with one hand.

+1 for a leisure battery I use an 80Ah on mine & have had a fair few sessions using it before it needs charging again. I don't find it to heavy plus it has carrying handles. I made up my own fused power lead & connect the battery using quick relase connectors like these;

mvCQXZRIgywgpv4gMeTx2rw.jpg

Just make sure you get the polarity the right way round.

80aH?! Wow where did you get that from?

+1 for a leisure battery I use an 80Ah on mine & have had a fair few sessions using it before it needs charging again. I don't find it to heavy plus it has carrying handles. I made up my own fused power lead & connect the battery using quick relase connectors like these;

Thanks but where did you get an 80aH battery from?! I don't suppose I need that much as I can;t normally do more than 2-3 hours at a time anyway and I guess its OK to charge them after each session is it or not?

Another +1 for leisure battery I've learned the hard way , I've had 3 so called power packs designed for jumpstarting cars they just don't last , some are better than others but in the end a leisure battery will outperform and outlast them all .

I too have used quick release clips Tich even got an old tool holdall with a solid bottom and handles  to put the battery in and connected my spare terminals for a multimeter so I can keep an eye on the voltage. But tbh I dont think It'll ever run out of juice  having 85ah. Even bought one of those fold up trolleys to transport it

I read somewhere that its not recommended to drain more than 50% of your capacity, or the life of it will be shortened dramatically . This cuts down the useable power of the lower ah batteries .

Out in the field you do not know until the mount goes haywire that your battery is flat and by then its too late . I've had this happen a couple of times even though the power packs have been charged asap after use 

Save yourself some money in the long run and get a decent leisure battery and charger  :laugh:

80aH?! Wow where did you get that from?

Thanks but where did you get an 80aH battery from?! I don't suppose I need that much as I can;t normally do more than 2-3 hours at a time anyway and I guess its OK to charge them after each session is it or not?

Search the web for leisure battery or any car/caravan  accessory  shop should stock them 

I was a little lazy and wanted a battery box to fit my battery in that I could then insulate so went with one of these http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Deluxe-Battery-Box-Accubox-P7784.html.

A great bit of kit, have foil lined it and used camping mat then to wrap the battery, and I know it is well insulated inside.  I can leave it in for charging and it is easy to carry with a strap handle.

As for it being portable - well it is as portable as a leisure battery can be, but an NEQ6 is not a grab and go set up anyway so the battery is not a concern.

I was a little lazy and wanted a battery box to fit my battery in that I could then insulate so went with one of these http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Deluxe-Battery-Box-Accubox-P7784.html.

A great bit of kit, have foil lined it and used camping mat then to wrap the battery, and I know it is well insulated inside.  I can leave it in for charging and it is easy to carry with a strap handle.

As for it being portable - well it is as portable as a leisure battery can be, but an NEQ6 is not a grab and go set up anyway so the battery is not a concern.

Hi, I have one of the Accuboxes with a 75Ah leisure battery in it. Neat. However I find that the power drops fairly quickly to below 11.5v and the red light on my HEQ5 starts flashing... Have you experienced this kind of problem? I did some experiments this evening and tried running the mount with the power lead plugged in to the car cigarette lighter and the mount ran at around 13v with no problem.

Sorry to take the thread on a slight tangent, but it might be useful so that you can avoid a similar situation and the people involved in this thread look very knowledgable!

Thanks.

Hi, I have one of the Accuboxes with a 75Ah leisure battery in it. Neat. However I find that the power drops fairly quickly to below 11.5v and the red light on my HEQ5 starts flashing... Have you experienced this kind of problem? I did some experiments this evening and tried running the mount with the power lead plugged in to the car cigarette lighter and the mount ran at around 13v with no problem.

Sorry to take the thread on a slight tangent, but it might be useful so that you can avoid a similar situation and the people involved in this thread look very knowledgable!

Thanks.

I Agree with CodnorPaul get the battery checked out and make sure there are no short circuits in cables etc

How old is the battery ? Is it still under warranty ?

What do you use to charge it ? A starter/charger can sometimes do more harm than good

Have you ever left it not charged for a period of time ? This can permanently damaged it .

I leave mine connected to my optimate motorcycle battery charger when not in use  These type of chargers are excellent at keeping the battery in tiptop condition and even in some cases bring it back from the dead

I bought my leisure battery from a motorist discount store (Motosave to be exact, but Halfords also sell them), just look for the ones with pictures of caravans on the label.  An 80Ah will probably cost between £50 and £80 and should be the only battery you ever need, or get a smaller one for easier transport.  I bought a tool chest with wheels and extending handle from B&Q, saves my back a bit when I've already lugged the NEQ6 outside.  I have noticed that my local country store also sell them for electric fences I think (it's a very farmer-oriented shop).

For connecting up I bought a lead with a car 12v accessory socket (cigarette lighter type), in-line fuse, and battery clips, this also came from Motosave.  I plug a custom made cable into this although I think the correct SkyTron cable will probably do the job too.  I plug the battery into my dew heater controller, which I then plug the mount into as it has auxilliary power ports, this saves me needing an extra socket at the battery.

I use an Heavy Duty Ring battery charger, it really does the business and can be left permanently on trickle charge although I don't because leisure batteries are known to release gas while charging (ALWAYS charge them in an open space, never in a sealed box).  This charger cost quite a lot but it is the only 12v battery charger I should ever need, it will do any 12v car or lorry battery.

Dave & CodnorPaul, thank you for your replies. The battery is pretty new, purchased in November last year, and still under warranty. I use a Numax 12v 10a charger (http://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-Leisure-Battery-Charger-10A-P6127.html) and leave it plugged in all the time. I think everything is wired correctly, but will double check. How much of a difference will insulation around the battery in the box make? I have a couple of egg cartons just to void fill rather than insulate, should I take that bit more seriously?!

Hi Gav With a battery that new I would expect to be able to get at least a couple of observing sessions in without it running out of power, especially since your using a dedicated charger 

If there are no shorts in the wiring I would take the battery back to your supplier and get an exchange  . sounds like it could be faulty

I have mine in a tool holdall with just some foam insulation on the base (none around it yet)not really sure how much of a difference it would make but it wouldn't do any harm to insulate

It is also stored in the garage as i don't think the wife would be too happy having it on charge in the house

hope this helps  :laugh:

Thanks Dave, I will be contacting Tayna...

Again, sorry to hi-jack the thread @jjqpr. I hope you find the perfect power supply solution for your lovely mount soon and, more importantly, don't have to wait too long for skies to use it!

Insulating makes no difference at all until the temperature drops - then I am lead to believe it can seriously affect the performance of the battery by up to as much as 50%.  Keeping it warm is the best bet and it will never overheat from being wrapped in a camping mat - but I make sure the terminals are clear

Insulating makes no difference at all until the temperature drops - then I am lead to believe it can seriously affect the performance of the battery by up to as much as 50%.  Keeping it warm is the best bet and it will never overheat from being wrapped in a camping mat - but I make sure the terminals are clear

As mine is used in a plastic tool box with the lid on I doubt it gets as cold as the outside temperature, it is only exposed while I put the terminal clips on.

A large battery is quite a solid lump of material, it would surely take quite a while for it to fully cool to ambient temperature, the plastic tool box will act as some insulation (plus the air inside it).  Perhaps I will place a thermometer inside there one night to test the theory!

Archived