Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter 24th October

U Cyg

Two captures from the 24th October, the first one at 03:13 UT, and the second at 06:42 UT.
Maybe a little too red, and suffering from the dreaded ringing!

J3b_241013_031323UT.png

J3b_241013_064239UT.png

Celestron 8" SCT, 3x barlow and ASI120MC camera.
Firecapture, Pipp, AS2, Registax 6 and PSCS2.

Angie

A nice image! :)

However, that's not true "ringing" which is caused by incorrect/inadequate exposure (despite the urban myth of incorrect gamma application in capture...)

You'll get it with sharpening and sometimes it's very hard to avoid unless you have excellent seeing and process very softly - to remove it use the Quick Selection tool in P/shop set to a small amount less than the planet's disk and click in the planet's centre which should "grab" the entire planet nicely.....you may have to take a step back and adjust the QS tool's diameter a few times to get it right, and a word of warning: make sure you work with a really large canvass so that the QS doesn't just grab the entire background window!

Once you've grabbed it nicely use "Select>Modify>Contract" to contract the QS's selection to just inside this edge ring.....then "Select>Inverse" and apply sufficient Gaussian Blur to blur this edge artefact.....you'll see how much is needed in the preview window of GB by moving the image around till you see the effect on this "ring."

Do all this with the image at a large scale before you reduce it to your final size - it helps do a nicer job! :)

Two very nice images Angie. You have detail in the GRS and plenty of detail generally captured. Good advice from Darryl as well.....think I will use it myself!!.. :laugh:

Best regards,

Ralph

Thank you for the nice comments.

Kokatha man (Darryl?), thank you so much for taking the time to explain how to remove this edge artifact, I shall be trying this out asap. :smiley:

I have no idea why the images displayed as large as they have done, but clicking on them takes you to the actual capture size image.

Angie

Very Nice, Especially as your only using a 8" scope.

I have often seen that type of artefact with edge distortions during flickering seeing conditions. During capture you can often see the edge moving in and out. And I believe ( but could be wrong ) the sharpening enhances those differences on the edge.

Archived