Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reflex Bullseye Red-dot-finder (similar to a Telrad)

I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these finders?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121144867299?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648

It looks like a Telrad & even seems to fit on the scope the same way & runs on AA batteries, the only difference is the size which for me would be ideal as I want to fit it to a 6" SCT. If anyone has any feedback about one of these then it would be greatly appreciated thanks.

If it's any help in judging the fit on your scope I have just measured my Telrad for you; 210mm long including adjustment knobs x 55mm wide including the base and sticks up 130mm at the highest point. I have a 102mm frac and the base plate diameter fit is a little over so not all of the width of the sticky pads is in contact with the OTA (couple of mm only). Solid as a rock though.

cheers

A red dot finder projects a dot (or some other symbol like a cross) onto the glass. The Telrad projects 3 concentric rings instead, which represent various arcs of view (0.5° 2° and 4°). Many people find these rings useful for star hopping.

A red dot finder projects a dot (or some other symbol like a cross) onto the glass. The Telrad projects 3 concentric rings instead, which represent various arcs of view (0.5° 2° and 4°). Many people find these rings useful for star hopping.

ah that makes sense, thanks.

I Took delivery of one of these ebay reflex finders a few days ago... it's branded 'KSON' and is definitely cheap and plasticky! The bullseye isn't bright enough to enable you to get it aligned in anything approaching daylight, and also if you look through it and move your head, the bullseye moves in relation to the sky so not very accurate at all unless you always look through it at exactly the same angle (MY SW red dot finder stays in the same spot on the sky if you move your head whilst looking through it). I wish I'd spent the extra tenner and got a telrad or rigel!

Thanks Craig for the heads up & sorry it's not as good as it seemed to be, I just wanted a smaller more compact finder on my 6"SCT & I thought one of these might do the trick but it seems it is not to be. I already have a Telrad on my 200P but when I offered it up to the 6"SCT it looks huge & unwieldy plus I like to mount the plate a little more permanently rather than just relying on the sticky pads. I will admit to the Telrad not being very pretty but they do the job very well indeed & wouldn't be without mine.

Thanks John, I've found the review in question on Google & found it to be an interesting read, he seems to favour the Rigel which is probably what I'll save up for & fit to the SCT.

Archived