NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

TMB Planetary II v BST Explorer ED v Celesteon X-Cel

Hi,

Firstly, I am somewhat confused by previous posts on this forum; and others, regarding the TMB Planetary II EPs and the quality of UK ones over those from across the pond. Is this still the case, and does anyone have more up-to-date info?

Second. I posted previously, I was looking to buy some reasonably priced EPs to help with poor eyesight and astigmatism and viewing of Jup and Sat, however Televue are out of this pensioners pocket. There appear to be three reasonably priced makes which IMO may fit the bill; TMB, BST and Celestron. What; I suppose, I looking for is some guidance and advice on which of these would be better quality in terms of viewing planets, as oppose to price.

Scope, SW Explorer 150 is well collimated, so seeing difficulty is down to 'mine eyes', not scope.

EPs sizes looking at in mm, 5, 6, 8 or even 4.

Views greatly appreciated.

Regards

David

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a bad experience with the TMB Planetry 2 (6mm) and a good experience with the Vixen 6mm NLV. Both bought secondhand for about £30 from memory on Astro Buy and Sell. Both ave really good eye relief if you're wearing specs. The Vixen has the narrower field of view but sharper image. My TMB is a bit mushy cmpared to many other eps of this focal lemgth.

RL

Have to agree, my Vixen LVs (older eye-cup design than the NLV - no optical difference) are much nicer than my TMB Planetary (that I no longer use). Very comfortable eyepieces, and you can get them at great prices 2nd hand (~£35 depending on seller).

Not sure it will influence your decision - but I can notice very little difference optically between the LV and my TeleVue plossls at F/5.

BST and Celestrons beat the TMB's, think Alan that sell both agrees with this.

BST and Celestrons are pretty much the same in performance - some people like one others like the others in about equal amounts.

Main difference between the BST's and the Celestons is price (BST = £47, X-Cel = £65) and to an extent more important the range of focal lengths at the lower end. I would suggest you look at these and make a decision based on the eyepiece focal lengths as performance is so similar that I guess a lot is down to personel preferences.

BST = 5, 8, 12, 15, 18, 25.

X-Cel = 5, 7, 9, 12, 18, 25

I have the BST's very good, the price is excellent and I am more the pleased with them, the X-Cels I think have a better selection of focal lengths. But I do not intend to change.

TMB eyepiece has many clones, there're build quality differences as I understand it.

I got TMB clone) 5mm, 9mm and 15mm from

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/language/en/cat/c70_Okulare-----1-25--Weitwinkel.html

I'm quite satified with their performance on my explorer 130P, flater field and better contrast than my TS plössl (and this is an average good plössl as I understand it), of couse not as good as my BCOs in contrast and sharpness.

I have no experience about BST ED and Celestron X-Cel, so I can't give any advice about them. I do see that many recommend BST ED with some reservations about the 18mm.

i recently purchased a 21 mm celestron x-cel (non LX) - not very impressed to be honest. You need to keep your head completely still otherwise you get blackouts.

I also purchased a 7mm x-cel LX - much better than the 21mm in regards to blackouts. However i did notice that it doesnt give a very dark background compaired to either my meade series 4000 SP or my astro engineering 8-24mm zoom.

Got both x-cel's for £70 - They both sit there just gathering dust now...not the best buy ive ever made :)

Just my 2 cents

What if I threw another into the mix, the Baader Hyperion 5mm. Would £96 be well spent, or is the BST 5mm at £47, still be better option?

It may not be well spend money I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, Hyperions are the best of Erfle type eyepiece, from what I've read (user feedbacks), but these users have slower scopes (f7 upwards), your scope is f5, the Erfle type eyepieces will show quite some coma in the edge in your scope, may become disturbing.

I recently got the TS HR Planetary 15mm. I'm impressed by the sharpness. I wish I had a 14mm Radian to shoot it out against because it feels a bit Radian-like to me in sharpness. I've mainly used it in my Solar Max telescope for viewing the sun. Compared to the 8mm and 5mm Radians I have, which are my favourite EP's for solar, there is a little bit more glow kicking around and it's not quite as comfy as the generous 20mm eye relief of the Radian, but I'm very happy with it. Build quality is better than I was expecting for the price and I like the twist up eye cup. I'm tempted to buy another size in the range. No idea how it compares to a BST though we hear so many good things about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my BST 25mm on Friday and had first light on sat.

Was very impressed with it! Build quality was excellent and the views were superb right to the edges. A noticable difference to the 26mm meade 4000 SP.

This was on a f15+ scope tho.

Have 18, 9 and 7mm Xcel-LX, 15, 12,8 and 5mm BST's. Plus a 32mm TV Plossl.

I like them all.

Also have a 4mm TMB (original, not clone) EP. This EP stays unused

as I find my Barlowed 8mm BST/7mm Xcel-LX give better views.

I wonder why, is it because of eye relief you think or it is a harder to use on the eye ?

As much as you may be have a quality barlow, the increase in elements and light/contrast loss must be a factor I would have thought to compromise that. Are you looking through it with a powermate or other uber expensive barlow ? just curious to hear why you say that :)

AlexB67- the issues I have with the TMB are "ghosting" with brighter objects and general lack of sharpness that I get with

the barlowed 8mm or, at a little less magification, with my 5mm BST.

As for the barlow it is a bog-standard Celestron 1.25" from the eyepiece kit- same as the GSO 1.25".

Ordered 5mm and 8mm BST ED Starguiders

Thanks for all the advice.

Appreciated as always

you wont be disappointed with the BST`s i have 3 of them and my scope is the skywatcher 150p the same as yours i have the 5,8 and 18mm i am that happy i will be getting the rest of the range. The 15mm was voted best in class in Sky at Night Magazine that's how good they are.

I previously owned a set of X-Cels LX down to 5mm and all were great. I have not tried the others so I cant really comment on them :laugh:

I also got most of my money back when I sold them to upgrade, they all sold within 2 days of advertising !!! :laugh:

I previously owned a set of X-Cels LX down to 5mm and all were great. I have not tried the others so I cant really comment on them :laugh:

I also got most of my money back when I sold them to upgrade, they all sold within 2 days of advertising !!! :laugh:

I have one Celestron X-Cell LX, the 25mm. It seems a nicely made eyepiece and optically pretty good although I've not used it much.

Shaun - what improvements do you think the Delos eyepieces you have now got give you over the X-Cell LX's, apart from the additional field of view, longer eye relief and larger hole in the bank balance ?.

Are they miles apart or are the improvements slight ?.

Cheers :smiley:

In a nutshell John yes, it is fair to say there are no similarities

1) Across the range Xcels have a milky blue background contrast in comparison to the demonic black of the Delos. However, I didn't notice this until I had the Delos to compare with but it does make a huge difference.

2) The separation of the stars is very different between the 18mm Xcel and the 17.3 Delos, its like they were bunched together in the Xcel where as the Delos stars are much brighter and have an individuality to them.

The rest of the higher mags 8 -10 - 12 - 14 all follow these same traits the Delos simply have better all round clarity and sharpness. I am very pleased with them.

My brother has a set of Xcels, he now wants Delos after seeing the difference.

I think the Xcels are very good and they are only £60 - £70 so no complaints, great FOV.

I have to leave for work now, sorry about the rushed comparison. :grin: I will add to it when I get to work

Nice report Shaun. So at least we can see there that the Delos is much better than the Celestron Xcel's but for 3 times to price and then some they should be. I found the comment from Shaun about he didn't notice until he had a Delos interesting, follows the lines of so many things.

Shuan is not on his own in building up a collect of these fine eyepieces and I am sure they will serve him well for years to come.

Alan.

I started with the Nexstar 6SE and a set of X-Cel LX's, both served me very well and I also got 75% of my outlay back when I sold them :smiley:

I waited until I was sure I was going to keep the hobby up before spending mucho casho :smiley:

Now I know this is going to be a lifetime hobby I decided to buy the best I can afford. :grin:

As a compromise I spent the same amount on my Mrs Pigs trainers and running gear (or so she believes)

If she ever finds out the true cost I will have to spend some cash on running gear for myself :grin: run Forrest run

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds :shocked:

Archived