Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

jupiter during the day is hard to see

dtr42

especially through clouds but on sunday if clear about 4pm ish [depends where you are in uk etc and if clear jupiter will be sitting just above and to east of the moon [moon will be about 177 degrees so nearly due south and 53 degrees above horizon so although moon is very small it gives you a visual reference point for where jupiter is.

I've easily spotted Jupiter during the day using a Meade ETX70. I had a routine where I could get a pretty good alignment for the GoTo on pretty much any clear day or night, and this allowed me to get to see Saturn and Jupiter during the day.

My impressions of the planets during daytime with the scope were that seeing was worse than I was expecting, but that the planets were more colourful even though they appeared more pale. The blue sky around (and in front of) the planets didn't affect the ability to see detail as much as I was expecting. Saturn was a lot harder to see than Jupiter which was expected given the surface brightness of Saturn is that much less.

I didn't have any imaging hardware with me, otherwise I'd have taken a pic or three.

You learn something new everyday, I have never considered attempting to see any planet, except for Venus, in daylight before, always thought they would be washed out by the ambient light levels, but I now have a challenge for when I am not on shift and Jupiter is next in the daytime sky..Thanks.

Been meaning to do this over the last couple of years and still haven't got round to it!

I had a routine where I could get a pretty good alignment for the GoTo on pretty much any clear day

Any chance you could elaborate on this routine? (pretty please :smiley:)

Sounds very interesting!

well got it just about 5pm with the moon visible tried with just my eyes and it was barely visible ,with the bins no problem and with the 10" dob i'm amazed how ive never seen it before now. and to cap it off the ISS just passed over head about 10 mins ago .

Wish I had seen this thread yesterday, would have liked to have a go at this. Only seen Jupiter during the day by cheating previously, i.e. leave my GoTo scope tracking it for several hours after dawn. Finding it using the moon as a marker would have Benin good.

Any chance you could elaborate on this routine? (pretty please :smiley:)

Sounds very interesting!

SImple enough.

Daytime ETX goto setup. Requires either the moon to be visible or that the Sun is added as an object to the database.

1. Ensure tripod plate is as level as you can get it. Use a real level for this, not the built-in bubble. Make sure it's level in all directions and reverse the level to make sure the level is correct as well.
  2. Put scope on tripod plate, and aim roughly north and level. Keep the front cap on.
  3. Ensure that the correct time/date/location are set on the handset.
  4. Initialise and use 2-star goto.
  5. Accept both star positions.
  6. Select the Moon if it's visible, or keep the front cap on and select the Sun.
  7. Goto your chosen object.
  8. If it was the Sun, then loosen the axis locks and manually maneuvre the tube to minimise the tube's shadow then once the shadow is as small as it can be tighten back up the locks ; if it was the moon, take the cap off and put an eyepiece in, and after loosening the axis locks centre the moon in the FOV and re-tighten the axis locks
  9. Choose your bright object of choice, slew to it and you're done.

At night-time, I get good goto setup with a levelled tripod plate, as accurately starting north and level as possible. Once the first star has been chosen and moved to, I unlocked the axes and centred in the eyepiece manually then I re-locked the axes. The second star chosen was usually in the centre of the field once that stage was reached, and that was all that was needed. Gotos were always pretty accurate after that.

Archived