NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT Review Part-1

The new Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT has had a successful launch and been well received. Customer feedback so far is excellent and we have experienced zero returns but there is still little in the way of in-depth reviews on the internet. To remedy this we sent one to Steve Richards for a long-term review.

Steve Richards is the author of ‘Making Every Photon Count’ and writes for The Sunday Times, BBC Sky at Night Magazine and BBC Focus Magazine. He is also 'Steppenwolf' here at SGL :smiley:

Part-1 of Steve Richards Slywatcher AZ EQ6-GT review pdf

skywatcher_az_eq6-gt_front.jpg

Nice informative review (as always).. answers a few questions I had and seems to confirm the ability of being a good dual purpose observing & imaging choice.

As an imager I'm not sure it comes over as a worthwhile upgrade from my NEQ6 though. However, as Steve points out, it is compatible with the N/EQ6 tripod/pier adapters.. If it were offered in a mount head only/syntrek version it may appeal to those whose EQ6's are pier based and were looking for a lighter mount to travel with... instead of considering a HEQ5 syntrek for example.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert can't see the link for your image, any chance you could post into the thread please?

Great review as well, looking forward to seeing part 2 when its used in anger.

Completely visual use for myself but always nice to know how it will perform for the imagers out there. Hopefully when I move in 2 weeks time there will be some funds left over and the CFO will give her blessing... :grin:

Thanks for sharing this.

Here's an image of mine fully-loaded....

file://localhost/Users/robertseymour/Documents/IMG_2054.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello all...

Because many of u uses this skywatcher az-eq6 mount...i want to ask a question!

Do u think it can handle my 35cm (14 inch) newton telescope? Its weight is 18 kgs (40 lbs) and it has a length of 170 cm (5 foot 7 inches).

I like to use my telescope for visual and planetary photography with webcam.

Anyone an advice?

Greetings

Wim

Is that a solid tube? Sounds massive though technically within the weight specs for that mount. I have that mount and consider it maxed out on the 10" f6 newt I'm about to start using on it. There's going to be a lot of torque with an ota that size and I personally wouldn't risk it. For tracking on a scope that size I'd be thinking about a dob base and a commercial equatorial platform. If you need to mount it perhaps the eq8?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

It will probably handle it for visual, but the slightest breeze will mean there is shake. I'd thought you'd also be ok for solar system imaging, but again wind may be an issue. You might need a third counter weight to get it all balanced nicely.

Jd

Archived