Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Astronomy and nature centre, Whats happening ?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

den12386

den12386

Nebula

• New Members
  • 40 posts
I didn`t know Scopes n Skies also trade on ebay, I have just bought some binoculars from ebay from a shop called "Bargin Binoculars" which is also based in Ely and they sell the same stuff as Scopes n Skies but on the binocular side and use the same info pics and discription as Scopes. They have great feedback and My binoculars came within 3 days of ordering ( orderd Saturday delivered Tuesday) great service and good binoculars to. Wonder if they are conected in some way to Scopes n Skies.

Skywatcher Mercury 707 and ST 80mm refractors on Alt/Az goto mount,

Skywatcher Evostar 90 AZ3 mount,

EP`s Revelation 40mm photovisual plossl, SW 25mm MA, Revelation 12mm, 9mm plossl, SW Deluxe 2x Barlow,

10/50 Bins

Nikon D5000.

Mike150160

Mike150160

Nebula

• New Members
  • 11 posts

They should remove the whole connection with the previous company and start fresh with a10 as this is gonna hurt more than its worth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

They would have to change their behavior as well: Answer the phone, reply to emails, send stuff they promised to send (still waiting for the return of my binoculars).

optical thrombosis

optical thrombosis

Nebula

• Members
  • 77 posts
Update on my situation: Yes, I did get a replacement for my binoculars. Thy did make it clear that it was a goodwill gesture as A10 optical is a separate company who bought out the websites and some of the stock of The Astronomy & Nature Centre. The directors are 'new kids on the block' the old directors of A&NC have nothing to do with the new company.

I agree they should now start to trade as A10 optical, the association with bad service in the past is too great.

If you want to trade with someone else I can vouch for Neil & Lee at Green Witch. Always helpful, knowledgeable, and run a good business to boot!
Optical Thrombosis = Clot Behind The Lens!
------------------------------------------------

Steve Ward

Steve Ward

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,656 posts
Just like to say that I've bought all my kit from "S 'n' S" and never had a problem in four years of purchasing from them.

Hopefully the new shop will be open soon and they get back on track , there are too few outlets as it is.

Steve

"Mit der Dummheit kampfen gotter selbst vergebens" ( against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain )
Tal 100RS , SW Mak180Pro + Revelation focuser, SW200PDS, SW80ED Pro, SW ST120, ETX105, Celestron 15 x 70's , HEQ5ProSynScan, EQ3-2 on 14' Pier.
Canon1000D Std x 2 , SPC900NC x 3. "Scopium" Hershel wedge.

David Smith

David Smith

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,827 posts
Have to second what Steve said, got my PST from them this time last year and a number of items since. Anything I have order from them has been delivered promptly and has been in good order. When I have had any cause for complaint (missed an item from my order) they responded quickly and efficiently.

51j0qLE88%2BL._SS100_.jpg  David (formerly David_The_Bears_Fan)

Scopes: Revelation 10, Coranado PST, Evostar 120 + Celestron CG-4 Eyepieces: Revelation set, TMB PII 4mm, ES 82 6.7, 8.8, 11 & 18mm Cameras: Canon 1100D, Logitech QC Pro 4000, QHY5-II

My Images on Flickr

Mike150160

Mike150160

Nebula

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Have to second what Steve said, got my PST from them this time last year and a number of items since. Anything I have order from them has been delivered promptly and has been in good order. When I have had any cause for complaint (missed an item from my order) they responded quickly and efficiently.

I'd love to know what they have against me then!

They do seem to have 2 gears: A good service and an appalling one, with no middle ground.

If the directors of A10 are genuinely distinct from SnS then perhaps they should have made some changes to the working practices of their staff.

Cornelius Varley

Cornelius Varley

Main Sequence

• Moderators
  • 5,117 posts
If you wish to post dealer reviews please use the section provided.

Peter

My Gallery

Fullsize images on Astrobin

Cornelius Varley on Wikipedia

HEQ5 Pro / ADM saddle upgrade, IM603, Skywatcher Skymax 150+JMI EventHorizon motorised crayford, Meade Series 5000 80 APO, etx105 ota, ST80, Heritage 130P
CG4 with EQ3-2 Synscan, AZ4 (steel legs). DMK21, QHY5v, Pentax 12x50, eyepieces, filters etc etc. some other stuff in big boxes.

Dave Dubya

Dave Dubya

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 403 posts

If the directors of A10 are genuinely distinct from SnS then perhaps they should have made some changes to the working practices of their staff.

Indeed. They're also sending out some rather mixed messages - to most people who have used them in the past, it still looks like the same company operating under yet another trading name.

Roo

Roo

Nebula

• New Members
  • 23 posts
I've bought a few minor bits and bobs from the Scope'n'Skies website, mainly from the Astroboot section. Although everything that's arrived has been as ordered, nothing has thus far arrived within 2 weeks, and on one occasion, one of the items wasn't in the package. To be fair, I phoned them and when I DID get a reply, they sorted it fairly quickly. I have seen numerous horror stories and I'm not sure I'd buy anything major from them until they sort their act out. 'Shambolic' is a word I've seen used elsewhere, and it seems to be the experience of most users. Like many, I saw the You Tube videos and expected something a bit more professional. They have, I'm sad to say, been something of a disappointment.

den12386

den12386

Nebula

• New Members
  • 40 posts
Thanks for all the replies to the thread. The main point of the thread was to try and find out what had happened to the astronomy and nature centre in Ely as all of a sudden it had stopped trading.
I to had found them on youtube and they did some good informative videos / reviews on there youtube channel "Astronomy and Nature tv". Lets hope once they sort everything out with the winding up of the business they will inform us all via there youtube site what happened.

EP`s Revelation 40mm photovisual plossl, SW 25mm MA, Revelation 12mm, 9mm plossl, SW Deluxe 2x Barlow,

10/50 Bins

Nikon D5000.

Roo

Roo

Nebula

• New Members
  • 23 posts
Also, sorry, I've just noticed the comment by Cornelius.

optical thrombosis

optical thrombosis

Nebula

• Members
  • 77 posts

The reason for trading under multiple names is historic, flags of convenience if you will, but the recent change to A10 Optical is simple I fear - they went bankrupt. A10 Optical is a phoenix company with two previous employees named as directors. thus the same staff, and the same stock. If they are honest they will honour warranties, but strictly speaking they can dodge them as they can claim the company that gave the warranty has gone out of business. Legal, but not moral if they do. A point to ponder is that their status as a restarted company may mean that suppliers will be wary of giving them stock or credit terms, which may mean they could take your order and struggle to fulfil it. I sincerely hope not as when I have visited them and dealt with David & Robert face to face they could not be more helpful or accommodating.

Regarding Astro-Engineering, this is just another Astronomy and Nature Centre brand name that Robert Dalby used - the products (all very good I may say) are actually manufactured by Paragon Precision Engineering to order of Robert as his paid suppliers. They are based on the same industrial estate as their old warehouse. I know their directors John Kent and Gary Mayes personally, as I supply them with CNC machine tools. Please do not contact them regarding Astro Engineering product. They are only the manufacturers of the product, not Astro-Engineering.

Since I wrote this post, and have got my replacement binoculars back from A10 Optical (thanks guys), It has come to my attention that there are a number of factual inaccuracies in my above post, and I wish to rectify/clarify here:

Astronomy and Nature Centre did not go bankrupt - rather the business was sold on to the new company (A10 Optical) which explains the ongoing relationship with the website etc.
Astro Engineering is going strong as an independent company, (It was not a brand of AN&C) still producing its products - Hooray! - as they make excellent quality equipment, and the range of products are still available from good astronomy suppliers, including A10 Optical.
A salutary lesson to us all to check our facts before posting! Apologies to fellow Stargazers Lounge members for being the unwitting source of misinformation.

Steve Ward

Steve Ward

Main Sequence

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 6,656 posts
:rolleyes:

Steve

"Mit der Dummheit kampfen gotter selbst vergebens" ( against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain )
Tal 100RS , SW Mak180Pro + Revelation focuser, SW200PDS, SW80ED Pro, SW ST120, ETX105, Celestron 15 x 70's , HEQ5ProSynScan, EQ3-2 on 14' Pier.
Canon1000D Std x 2 , SPC900NC x 3. "Scopium" Hershel wedge.

optical thrombosis

optical thrombosis

Nebula

• Members
  • 77 posts

Just like to say that I've bought all my kit from "S 'n' S" and never had a problem in four years of purchasing from them.

Hopefully the new shop will be open soon and they get back on track , there are too few outlets as it is.

Like you Steve, I used buy quite a bit from them and to regularly drop in to the old premises, David & Robert looked after me, and have found nothing but good service face to face. That's my personal experience, and the no-quibble way A10 Optical sorted out replacing my binoculars also bodes well for the future.

den12386

den12386

Nebula

• New Members
  • 40 posts
Thanks for the update optical thrombosis. Where did you get the info of the astronomy and nature centre not going bankrupt. I did a check of them through "Company status" websites via Google and they report that they are in liquidation and have had meetings of creditors. Its all so confusing lol thats why I was hoping for some sort of offical word from them themselves through there youtube channel. There has been a new video uploaded this week from them reviewing the Skywatcher Skyhawk 114 and 1145p and Robert looks as if he is in new surroundings.

10/50 Bins

Nikon D5000.

optical thrombosis

optical thrombosis

Nebula

• Members
  • 77 posts

Thanks for the update optical thrombosis. Where did you get the info of the astronomy and nature centre not going bankrupt. I did a check of them through "Company status" websites via Google and they report that they are in liquidation and have had meetings of creditors. Its all so confusing lol thats why I was hoping for some sort of offical word from them themselves through there youtube channel. There has been a new video uploaded this week from them reviewing the Skywatcher Skyhawk 114 and 1145p and Robert looks as if he is in new surroundings.

Ref your company check I also have checked and verified that the company was put into voluntary liquidation which is quite different to bankruptcy. The directors have decided to close the old company and sold on the websites etc to A10 Optical, a new company started up by ex-employees of A&NC. This is quite a normal procedure, and quite normal to manage the outstanding creditors. Note I said that I feared the company was in bankruptcy, not that I knew it was, but aware some might take my word as gospel, I made my clarification of the point above.

den12386

den12386

Nebula

• New Members
  • 40 posts
Thanks for clearing this up, its macking it clearer now what happened to them. I wish them all well for the future.

10/50 Bins

Nikon D5000.

Kropster

Kropster

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 685 posts
As the old company was sold on to the new, does that mean warranties go with it?
Are creditors paid in full?
What was the purpose behind such a move?
Why do it?
It will make people suspicious of the motives behind what seems an odd maneouvre.

Keep thinking that I really should get the scope out!
Skyliner 250P Dob., SkyWatcher 130 PDS, Tasco (!) 114/900
EQ3/2 Synscan
Nikon 8x42 Bins

Mike150160

Mike150160

Nebula

• New Members
  • 11 posts

As the old company was sold on to the new, does that mean warranties go with it?
Are creditors paid in full?
What was the purpose behind such a move?
Why do it?
It will make people suspicious of the motives behind what seems an odd maneouvre.

I can attest that warranties are NOT honoured.

Kropster

Kropster

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 685 posts
Seems likely then that they did not 'buy the company'... just the stock and none of the liabilities.
A classic commercial way of wiping the slate clean and restarting under another name.
Legal, but not really moral.

Keep thinking that I really should get the scope out!
Skyliner 250P Dob., SkyWatcher 130 PDS, Tasco (!) 114/900
EQ3/2 Synscan
Nikon 8x42 Bins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users