SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Debayering a DSLR's Bayer matrix.

RAC

I have seen reports about it not being possible to dissolve CFAs with acetone, so I don't imagine IPA will work as a solvent. Mind you, I've also seen people claiming that it just isn't possible to do at all :)

Their is always someone on the net who will tell you this can't be done, or that can't be done James. People have told me at times that something I want to do with software can't be done or it won't work, but it's not long before they are shown the error of their ways/thinking.

A good scientist/designer will ignore the doubting ninnies and just go for it.

Edited by Cath
  • Like 2

I absolutely agree Cath. Too many people confuse "I can't see how that's possible" with "It is not possible". I blame it on a lack of imagination :)

100% :)

These people seem to have mastered it ..

http://www.maxmax.co..._conversion.htm

They do seem to show that the CFA is BELOW the micro lense though - eek

Don't know if that applies to all DSLR's or what though.

Edited by Cath

My immediate reaction to anyone saying it can't be done is to go and do it or at least have a jolly good try :D

I have hit my first hurdle with the 1100D sensor - I can't get the glass cover off - yet :( Been trying with a Stanley knife but can't get underneath it - only succeded in chipping some bits of glass away. I'm thinking of trying my hot air gun to see if the adhesive will soften :eek:

I guess if the glass breaks the sensor will still have some protection if I leave the UV/IR filter on.

Edited by Gina

I believe the incantation for dcraw to output an un-bayered image (i.e. the actual values per pixel) is

dcraw -D -4 -j -t 0

This gets you a 16bit pgm image. If you stick a -T on the end you might get a tiff file instead.

NigelM

I believe the incantation for dcraw to output an un-bayered image (i.e. the actual values per pixel) is

dcraw -D -4 -j -t 0

This gets you a 16bit pgm image. If you stick a -T on the end you might get a tiff file instead.

NigelM

Thank you :)

dcraw -D -4 -j -t 0

That gives me a virtually black image (needs a LOT of gamma). But if I use -d it produces an image I see (the following produces grey.tiff) ..

dcraw -d -4 -j -t 0 -T grey.cr2

Edited by Cath

OK. Here's a sweeping statement...

Nothing is impossible....

...It's just that we haven't figured out how to do it yet!

Human history is filled with examples of "can't be done" being disproved by "just done it, mate" :)

• Like 1

I'm quite prepared to accept that some things are so incredibly unlikely as to be effectively impossible. Me winning a gold medal in the ladies gymnastics at the next Olympics, for instance :)

There does seem to be an increasingly prevalent attitude along the lines of "I don't want to/can't see how to/can't be bothered to do it, therefore it can't be done, therefore it is impossible" however. But perhaps that's not entirely surprising when we live in a society where companies spend huge amounts of money on advertising to persuade people that they are unable to do something simply so that same company can then sell them a solution they don't actually need.

James

• Like 3

I'm following this project with interest, though with only one DSLR that I use for normal photography, I wouldn't try it myself. Neither do I have the spare cash for a camera to experiment with. I'm currently trying to ebay stuff from a past hobby to buy a Lodestar guide camera!

I think the computer age has created a generation of people who are incapable of making anything themselves, unless it just requires the go button pressed on the CAD machine! For a number of years, I was a college technician in the 3D workshop. The number of students that came into the workshop without a clue, was depressing. I'd see them grab a hammer and a bunch of screws, try to cut something out from the middle of a sheet of wood, rather than place the item at the edge to avoid waste, and one student told me he'd seen a screwdriver before, but never used one!!

While working at the college, I was due to be married. I told my wife I would make her wedding ring. I was sold some gold from a jewellers shop, but they told me I wouldn't be able to make a ring, but they could do it for me. Of course they were wrong, and I did make the ring, see below.

5ring.jpg

I've made all sorts over the years, from R/C planes bigger than the family car, to three Solar Systems for planetariums around the UK. Here's a couple of the planets.

2saturn.jpg3neptune.JPG

• Like 1

I'm following this project with interest, though with only one DSLR that I use for normal photography, I wouldn't try it myself. Neither do I have the spare cash for a camera to experiment with. I'm currently trying to ebay stuff from a past hobby to buy a Lodestar guide camera!

I think the computer age has created a generation of people who are incapable of making anything themselves, unless it just requires the go button pressed on the CAD machine! For a number of years, I was a college technician in the 3D workshop. The number of students that came into the workshop without a clue, was depressing. I'd see them grab a hammer and a bunch of screws, try to cut something out from the middle of a sheet of wood, rather than place the item at the edge to avoid waste, and one student told me he'd seen a screwdriver before, but never used one!!

While working at the college, I was due to be married. I told my wife I would make her wedding ring. I was sold some gold from a jewellers shop, but they told me I wouldn't be able to make a ring, but they could do it for me. Of course they were wrong, and I did make the ring, see below.

5ring.jpg

I've made all sorts over the years, from R/C planes bigger than the family car, to three Solar Systems for planetariums around the UK. Here's a couple of the planets.

2saturn.jpg3neptune.JPG

Yeeeaaaahhhh :)

OK. Here's a sweeping statement...

Human history is filled with examples of "can't be done" being disproved by "just done it, mate" :)

Clear skies over the UK AND your equipment working flawlessly ;)

• Like 1