Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC206 a star cluster in M31

MikeD

so , thats a cluster within the andromeda galaxy or a cluster from our galaxy inline with andromeda ? sorry , im on a learning curve here . :confused::smiley:

if as i think your saying ,its a cluster within m31, then im gobsmacked and in awe of what youve captured.

"NGC 206 is a vast starcloud in the Andromeda (M31) galaxy, roughly 2.5-3 million light years away. NGC 206 is one of the largest star forming regions known in our local group of galaxies. Studying Cepheid variable stars in NGC 206 can provide a way to accurately measure the distance to the cluster and the Andromeda galaxy. "

:afro:

Mike.

Very nice image. It can also be observed visually (which is why it has an NGC number) - it was discovered by Herschel in 1786 and I've seen it easily with a 12" (though it cannot be resolved visually into individual stars, of course - to the eye it looks like a bright fuzzy patch). Both M31 and M33 have a lot of DSOs visible from Earth - mostly star clouds and HII regions. M31 has a number of globular clusters that can be seen as starlike in telescopes: the brightest (known as Mayall II, or G1) can be seen as non-stellar in a 10". It would be worth having a go at imaging it. This thread has details on how to find it: http://stargazerslou...topic/79872-g1/

Hi

interesting capture, i have not checked but there is prob a few variable stars in there, worth taking a shot again in a few months to see if there is any variation in magnitudes

Paul J

Very nice image. It can also be observed visually (which is why it has an NGC number) - it was discovered by Herschel in 1786 and I've seen it easily with a 12" (though it cannot be resolved visually into individual stars, of course - to the eye it looks like a bright fuzzy patch). Both M31 and M33 have a lot of DSOs visible from Earth - mostly star clouds and HII regions. M31 has a number of globular clusters that can be seen as starlike in telescopes: the brightest (known as Mayall II, or G1) can be seen as non-stellar in a 10". It would be worth having a go at imaging it. This thread has details on how to find it: http://stargazerslou...topic/79872-g1/

Thanks for the info I might have a crack at that.

Mike.

Makes for a very interesting subject, i find it very impressive to think this is a formation within another galaxy! Your picture gives a feel of the cluster just teasing a little from behind a veil of galactic dust :icon_razz: love it

Archived