Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

is this refractror good

This is a good scope, similar to if not a direct clone of the Meade AR5 and the Bresser R127L. Can't cooment on the TAL RS as I have never owned one but everybody who has had one raves over them. Dont under estimate the size of this scope, you need a good mount. The scope though not heavy will impart a substantial leverage on its mounting, I had good views of Mars through my Bresser.

I don't know the scope, but I do know the TAL 100RS very well. If this scope does what it claims and has a reduced level of CA on par with my current scope, the ED 100 then this would make a very fine scope indeed. CA robs contrast and detail. I observed Jupiter last night, the views produced were far cleaner than those produced by an RS100, and that's saying something as the TAL is a very fine achromatic telescope. I will be very interested to read a first light review should you go for this scope. The extra aperture would certainly be a boon should the CA be as reduced as the suppliers claim.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hi there

I don't know that you'll see more contrast than with the TAL100RS (I have this scope and it is indeed an excellent achromat for its price and diameter), but you should see more details and feinter objects with the larger objective lens of the TS scope. I don't know where they source their lens for this (china?) but generally the stuff I've had with the Teleskp-Service brand has been good quality.

You may want to check what you get - it looks as if they give a finder scope but you'll need to buy a good diagonal and some eyepieces, and a decent mount. I bought a TS 8x50 finderscope and it is a pretty nice piece of kit. As the previous poster said, don't underestimate the length and heaviness of the telescope. I also have a Tal 125r which is similar in size to the TS (slightly shorter I think) and will go on my EQ5 mount (with steel tube tripod legs), but it is definitely pushing the limit a bit. I wouldn't go for anything less sturdy than that for a scope of this size.

Good luck with your choice!

I really like those 127mm F/9.3 - F/9.4 achromats :smiley:

I owned the very similar Bresser 127L for a while and it was a great scope optically.

They are longer and heavier than the TAL 100's though and do need a pretty solid mount. I had mine on a Celestron CG5 with the 2" stainless steel pipe legs and that handled it well enough for visual observing.

The downsides are that the focuser is rather basic, there is some plastic used in the objective lens cell and the standard dew shield is bit too short. Not show stoppers though, in my experience.

The TS Elite version is a bit expensive though and does not have the collimatable objective lens cell that the Meade and Bresser versions of this scope have. You can get them on the used market for a lot less than that too !

There used to be A TAL owner's group in here but these groups are no longer running, the mods would advise why this is now so. It is worth pointing out that 125R's by TAL are have been recently imported by members of this forum, I'm still tempted my self, I love TAL scopes. If I was you I would buy a 100RS, easier to mount, less CA.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

There is a TAL Yahoo group that used to be fairly active:

http://tech.dir.grou...roup/TALScopes/

Getting hold of the TAL 125R is incredibly difficult. No dealers handle them in the UK. One of our members managed to source one from an Itallian dealer recently but at some cost I believe.

Here is the official TAL website. It is possible to contact them direct I believe:

http://www.telescopes.ru/

The Tal100RS is probably the best value achro, and a good jack of all trades, i have started using mine with a 42mm 2" Revelation eyepiece and its good for dso`s......I have had one of my best ever views of Saturn with this scope, it comes with a couple of decent plossl EP`s, but worth getting some BST explorer, or even better some orthoscopic ep`s to bring out the best, but keep the 25mm plossl it comes with as its a good un

Another +1 for the Tal 100rs. It really is a very nice scope, aesthetically, optically, as well as for value. I think every owner of the OTA here at SGL doesn't really have a bad thing to say about them - which must surely count for something.

Archived