NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Strange Atik CCD Behaviour??

Hi all

I wonder if anybody can point out what I am doing wrong with my Atik 383L+ or if there is a serious problem with it? I have not had the camera that long and I am still getting used to it but I have a problem which has really stumped me.

Attached is a picture taken with the Atik at the beginning of an imaging session and on more than occasion, I seem to get what looks like 'trees/bacteria/blobs' in the foreground?!!! This sometimes occurs at the start of an imaging session but gradually, as I take a number of images, the 'blobs/trees' gradually disappear until the pictures are normal.

At first I thought one of the filters/telescope/reducer needed a serious clean but as I say, after taking a number of images over 15min or so they gradually disappear.

I am very careful to ensure that I cool/warmup the camera correctly at the beginning AND end of a session but I wonder if it is some moisture trapped inside that gets 'frozen' as the camera cools but why gradually disappear? I am really stuck with this one.

Anybody come across this before or know what it is? Any help would be great.

Steve

atik 383l strange.tiff

Thanks for the reply John. I wondered if it might be ice crystals - damn. Have I done something wrong to cause this? I have yet to contact Atik as I wondered if the problem is temporary (as sometimes there is very little of the crystals).

So this isn't part and parcel of having a ccd then? Looks like there might be a problem with the camera?

Steve

Dave: From what I can remember I do think that the crystals did start to appear as the camera was cooling - good point!

Oh damn - I hate it when equipment has gone wrong! Looks like I'll have to get in touch with Atik.

Deffinatly Ice on the chip cover, what temperature to you have it set at?

Do Atiks have a replacable dessicant strip anywhere in them?

You could try setting it at a higher temerature to start with..ie. 0C and let it get to that then change the temp to -10, then -20 so that it cools down in stages.

When not in use try storing the ccd in a box with some dessicant bags in there to take any moisture out..

Just a few things to try...Hope this helps :hello2:

Atik are currently moving premises so their phones and email are disrupted. If you are contacting them direct they might need a little longer than usual to respond.

I'll text them so they will be aware.

HTH,

Steve

It does sound like condensation / ice on the chip caused by the desiccant being saturated.

You can confirm this by imaging without cooling - see if you get the issues. Then switch the cooler on - the marks will gradually appear.

Normally these are user rechargeable - take the desiccant out and dry in an oven on a low heat for a couple of hours.

Regards

Rob

Or it could also be that some thermal paste has made its way onto the CCD cover glass due to the camera icing up.

steve2310, if you bought it from us please email the helpdesk to arrange collection. If not then contact your supplier.

HTH :hello2:

As everyone has mentioned, this is caused by ice.

You can get a supply of descant from Atik, I have to change mine I reckon every 2 or 3 months. Whenever I see it start to creep in I give myself a good facepalm for not dealing with it in good time

I've had my 314l+ for coming up to 2 years and have never changed the descant, it still cools without any problems - should I be changing it? Or does it have a different cooling system to the 383?

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have just come back from lunch to find a stack of replies - so thanks to everyone who took the time to help!!!

So it seems it may be this desiccant strip that is causing the problem. Are they replaceable in the Atik 383l? To be honest - and this shows my lack of experience with ccd cameras - I didn't know anything about these!!!

I've suddenly got a rush on at work (how inconvenient) but I will be back with hopefully some more info!

Cheers all,

Steve

I would store the camera in a warm, dry place since a little of the moisture might be driven out even though it shouldn't be. This will be a simple thing to sort out. I've had it once or twice on my 4000s but I can activate a window heater on those. I don't know about yours.

Olly

As everyone has mentioned, this is caused by ice.

I am concerned there is more to this than ice alone. I suspect some thermal paste has made its way onto the CCD cover glass, probably drawn there by the ice. It probably needs to be returned, cleaned and resealed.

I have to change mine I reckon every 2 or 3 months. Whenever I see it start to creep in I give myself a good facepalm for not dealing with it in good time
If you are continually needing to change the desiccant tablets then the camera's seal has been compromised, you will need to contact your supplier.

The 383L+ is different to most cameras because it has a shutter so needs a larger inner chamber (more air). The camera is sealed but the original desiccant tablet (it is a little more sophisticated than simple desiccant) continues to draw out moisture after manufacture. Typically the original tablet will last 3-4 months, then you will need to fit another. Atik pack a number of desiccant tablets with the 383L+. After it has been changed one or two times the chamber should be dry, then you might not have to change it for several years. You can also reuse desiccant tablets after drying them in the oven.

I've had my 314l+ for coming up to 2 years and have never changed the descant, it still cools without any problems - should I be changing it?

No, you don't need to change the desiccant. You can go for up 4-5 years before you need to change the desiccant in a 314L+.

Hope that helps,

Steve :hello2:

Looks like Ice forming on the CCD, I have also had this.

The thing that stopped it for me was keeping the camera in the house and only taking it out when been used.

Whether it is ice alone or ice and thermal paste I think it best to have it checked, cleaned and resealed. There won't be any charge. I just want to be sure everything is 100% okay :hello2:

Steve

The 314L+ has no desiccant, its just a sealed chamber...:)

Ooooh yes it does (said in pantomime voice) :)

All Atik cameras have desiccant. With the 314L+ it rarely needs changing but when it does it requires that you remove the back. We supply instructions and desiccant if required.

Worth noting that if your 314L+ does ice up then change the desiccant asap because the Sony 285 sensor doesn't like ice! This applies to any other camera with the Sony 285 sensor, not only Atik.

HTH :hello2:

Steve

Thanks to everyone for having an input with this but a BIG thanks to FLO who saw my thread and got directly in touch in order to help me. Great guys offering a great service.

Really appreciated!

Despite this problem I do LOVE this camera! If I get a chance in the next few days I'll upload my 'attempts' at M82/81 using LRGB for the first time (luminance and RGB have aged me considerably these last few months).......it's been a learning curve.......

Steve

Archived