Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bobs Knobs

Only thing now though Damian is that the original cover will not fit over the new 'Knobs', but I gueesed this would be the case. Also I cannot re-collimate it as I am laid up yet again with this creaky old back hey-ho.

They are fine Damian I have no gripe with them as they are so easy to adjust, the cover is just there to hide the original collimating screws. the original cover clips over the secondary mirror. What I have done is to put some black electrical tape over the two holes the clips fastened too. I do not think the holes go all the way through but belts and braces.

Edit; On further research Bob does say that I would have to keep the cover to one side as it will not fit over the new Knobs and the two holes are 'blind' and will not let any dust etc into the OTA.

Have had the cables delivered to my partners in the UK, will let you know when I have them back here thanks.

Hi,

Had mine delivered today, plenty of room to get my chubby fingers around them, they are going to make collimating so much easier for me. Took 9 days to arrive by the way.:)

May I ask how much they cost you Nereid all in? International postage and all? Rgds, Steve

They are a worth wile investment and save on the risk of dropping anything on the primary. There are cheaper alternatives but I'm not sure they are stainless steel like the Bobs knobs.

I don't want to do Mr Knobs out of any business, but I ordered a set of thumb screws for my Celestron HD11 in A4 grade stainless steel from a UK supplier for under five quid - in fact I ordered a set of hex head bolts as well as they had a minimum order value of a fiver...

I got mine from A2A4 fixings and the M3 x 12mm are perfect for my scope - £1.35 each and arrived the next day...

I got on quite well using the knurled knobs for collimation - even in the cold, but do plan on trying the hex heads at some point to see if it facilitates more precise adjustment.

By the way, my prime motivation was beacuse the supplied cross head collimation screws were utter rubbish and even with a good quality, correct size screwdriver chewed up almost immediately - why they supply collimation screws made of cream cheese is beyond me and I would have thought it pretty obvious that hex head at least would have been a better way to go (and can't make much difference in manufacturing cost...)

Anyway, happy bunny.:)

Cheers, Ian

post-24484-133877703331_thumb.jpg

Should have said, by the way, if you want to find your own supplier just search for "DIN 464" which is the standard spec for this type of knurled thumb screw. I must confess that I didn't spend very long trying to find the best price, just wanted to find some in stainless steel (they are available in a variety of materials).

The tube end cover still fits with no problems by the way...

Cheers, Ian

Archived