Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

COM Ports - How to deregister them?

swag72

In trying to sort out my issues from the other night, I had to play around a lot with various USB connections using the hub or direct to the PC. As a result, I now have about 27 COM ports assigned that I can do nothing with. EQMOD now has no COM ports below 27 to work with (so it doesn't work!!).

My question is how can I sort this out? They're not all assigned and working, so somehow I must be able to start them again from scratch. I searched on the net and found one way but it's not worked. The way that I assigned the COM port prior to EQMOD I can't seem to assign those that already are.

Hope someone can easily help with this. :)

If I plug in the powered hub, that comes up under the USB menu. Then I can reassign the COM port number in the advanced menu, but they are all being 'used' up to 27. It's as though every time I have put in a USB a different COM port has been assigned that isn't then unassigned when the device is disconnected.

Will COM ports be used by anything other than USB devices? I ask incase the COM ports are used by something else.

I have found this on the net, but why do I not have the ports menu in the device manager? Without that I can't do it.

1. Click the "Start" or "Globe" button, and then click "Programs" or "All Programs," and then point to "Accessories." Then, if running Windows XP, click the command line icon in the menu that appears. If running Windows 7 or Vista, right-click on the command line icon and then click "Run as Administrator." The command line window will appear.

2. Enter "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" on the command prompt and then press the "Enter" key.

3. Click the "Start" or "Globe" button, and then right-click on "Computer" or "My Computer" and click "Manage." In the window that opens, click on "Device Manager."

4. Select the "View" menu and then click "Show hidden devices." Click the "Ports" device header and a list of "Com" ports will appear. Right-click on each "Com" port you wish to remove and click "Uninstall" in the menu that appears. The virtual "Com" ports have now been removed.

Connect your mount to your computer and turn on the mount.

Start up EQTour, then click >>>, then Choose Scope, then select EQMOD ASCOM EQ5/6 in the list and click Properties...

In the ASCOM Setup window, look in box EQMOD Port Details.

Click on "binocular" icon next to the label "Port". What happens?

I'm not connected at the moment, but having done this a number of times last night I can tell you that it says 'not found' as it is assigning a COM port higher than 16. And now I have no COM ports left under 16 that I can assign to it. The previously asigned port (1 and 2) are no longer able to be used - It wants a new COM port every time I plug in.

You can re-assign it to a lower port number that you are not using in device manager.

Right click and select Properties, on the Port Settings tab select Advanced, and you will see that you can set the com port number - as long as you are re-using a com number that is not currently used you can ignore the warning message.

As long you plug the devices into the same USB port it'll retain that com number.

HTH

This was a helpfull rply i recieved to what i think is the same problem

Hope it works for you

Ray

Thanks all - Will have a look at the link and see how it goes tonight.

Can I just ask, if my COM ports are currently up to 27, and I have NOTHING plugged into the PC - Does that mean that nothing is using them? Is it only USB devices that use COM ports or are there important things in the PC that uses them?

No, not any important things unless you have a very old computer with a physical serial port (9 point connector) at the back.

I think you won't have similar problems when you get an EQDirect cable because the ones with the FTDI chip in them always show up as the same number COM port no matter which USB socket you use.

Sara I've had this problem before, I used the steps for displaying the hidden devices that you have noted. Then with nothing USB attached I deleted everything above COM4, rebooted and then re-attached one at a time.

This works a treat:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.

2. At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

3. Type the following command at command prompt, and then press ENTER:

start devmgmt.msc

4. Click View > Show hidden devices. This will display devices that are not connected to your computer but Windows XP still reserves space for them.

5. Go to Ports (COM & LPT) and expand that section.

6. Remove all devices in the list of ports that are grayed out but have a specific COM port number assigned to them. (You can do this by right clicking on the grayed out device and choosing Uninstall and then OK in the dialog box that appears).

7. When you are finished troubleshooting, close the Device Manager.

8. Type exit in the Command Prompt

Steve

Archived