Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Opticstar AR80S Gold First Impressions

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
Opticstar AR80S Gold 80mm f/5 Achro Refractor

Received this little scope today and here are my first impressions.

First of all it's very small and compact but surprisingly heavy. Feels very solid. The tube is finished in an off-white pebble type finish that was well applied with no blemishes. The single speed crayford has a very smooth focusing action and is very easy to focus precisely.The coatings on the objective were perfect. So high marks overall for fit and finish.

The tube ring is a one piece machined part that is tightened by a single screw on one side and has a couple of mounting holes on the bottom for attaching a dovetail or a photo QR plate. Surprisingly there's no felt lining on the inside of the ring. The retractable dew-shield is a very tight fit and takes a fair bit of pressure to slide open or closed. Thankfully the screw on lens cap only takes a couple of turns to unscrew.

I replaced the ring(s) with a set of WO guide rings as I wanted to be able to use the scope as a finder. The rings are only slightly bigger than the OTA, but enough to allow for alignment. I replaced the WO chrome thumbscrews with some nylon tipped grub screws. In daytime testing using high mag on a shiny aerial in full sunlight there was a purple fringe around black parts of the aerial. Not surprising with an f/5 achro I suppose. The optics were nice and sharp though. The seeing wasn't that good tonight but at least it was clear. Jupiter had a blueish fringe around it, but not too objectionable.I think a minus violet filter is called for here. However this is never going to be a planetary scope is it. The Pleiades were a magnificent sight though, nice and sharp and well defined, and showed what this scope IS good at.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_1_1_52

PROS
Compact
Solidly built
Excellent fit and finish
Good focuser
Sharp Optics
Value for money

CONS
CA at high mag
Focuser screws onto OTA so can't be replaced with a standard replacement dual speed crayford
Heavier than expected

AR80S Specs:
Aperture - 80mm
Focal ratio - F/5
Focal length - 400mm
Objective - Achromatic doublet
Optical coatings - Broadband FMC (fully multi-coated)
Optical tube - Internally anti-reflection coated, knife-edge baffles
Dew shield - Retractable with metal screw-type cap
Finder-scope mount - Yes
Focuser - Single speed Crayford
Focuser adapter - Accepts 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and diagonals
Focuser tube travel - 70mm (marked in 1mm intervals)
Tube rings - Single wide tube ring with photographic 1/4" thread
Tube weight (inc rings) - 2kg with single speed focuser or 2.1kg with dual speed focuser
Minimum tube length - 310mm with retracted dew-shield
Maximum tube length - 365mm with extended dew-shield
Tube diameter - 97mm
Frontal dewshield diameter - 110mm
Construction - All metal construction
Suitable for use with bino-viewers
Case Nylon, padded

So overall it's what I expected it to be, a compact and portable widefield scope with excellent build quality that can be used as a finder and should make a great guidescope later on.

John

Edited by johninderby, 27 September 2011 - 11:39 PM.

part timer

part timer

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 637 posts
Thanks for that!
I've looking at this scope and wondering. Have you had a standrard ST 80 to compair it to?

Cheers

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts

Thanks for that!
I've looking at this scope and wondering. Have you had a standard ST 80 to compare it to?

Cheers

I used to have an ST80 a while ago and going from memory I'd say the AR80s optics are sharper but CA would be very similar.

John

John

John

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 26,364 posts
Looks a nice scope John - thanks for the report :p

It seems in some ways to fit the niche that the Stellarvue Nighthawk used to - a step up in build and optical quality from the Synta ST80 ?.

John

Scopes: Refractors: 4", 4.7" and 6". Dobsonian: 12"

Mounts: Alt-azimuth x 3 and Equatorial x 1

Eyepieces: Tele Vue and Pentax from 3mm to 31mm 

Filters: O-III, Neodymium, H-Beta, White Light Solar

"We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it."

Douglas Adams, 2001 

Nathan_Pembs

Nathan_Pembs

Star Forming

• Advanced Members
  • 289 posts
Have been looking at this scope too, looks a nice bit of kit.
Judging by the paint marks on the mount rings, they really need some felt don't they?!
SW 150P
HEQ5
9x50 finder + QHY5
Atik 314E mono
Self modified Canon 450D

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts

Have been looking at this scope too, looks a nice bit of kit.
Judging by the paint marks on the mount rings, they really need some felt don't they?!

Definitely, although fortunately there are no marks on the tube from the rings, but if you slid the rings along for balance a few times I think it could make some marks.

John

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
Had the scope out again tonight. The seeing wasn't that good though. Nice and clear but a bit hazy.

Compared to last night CA wasn't as evident. Yes there was still some on Jupiter but greatly reduced. In moments when seeing briefly improved Jupiter showed a fair bit of detail. Star testing didn't turn up any problems (nice in and out focus patterns) and CA wasn't bad on even on brightest stars at high mag.

John

part timer

part timer

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 637 posts
Hmm, Your tempting me!!

Nibor

Nibor

Proto Star

• Advanced Members
  • 638 posts
Thanks for the review - the scope has been interesting me for a while!!

Skywatcher Skymax 127 / Orion (US) ED80 with 9 x 50 RACI and MRF finder / S/W Equinox 66 with MRF Finder

Ioptron Minitower V2
Antares 0.5 focal reducer / Baader UHC-S-Filter / Celestron 8 - 24mm Zoom / Celestron X-Cel LX (F5) / Ascension F11 - 80 degree wide angle / S/W SP F10 / S/W SP F 25 / Binoviewers / S/W 2" 28mm
Helios Naturesport 8 x 40 binos / Olivon 10 x 50 binos

Phil Dyer PD1 astro video camera / "CR6" box video camera (AKA :-  DTV.VLL/PRO/W5) modified for astro - Capture = Power Director, Full Scr viewing = Media Player Classic

OrionGazer

OrionGazer

Vacuum

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Opticstar AR80S Gold 80mm f/5 Achro Refractor

Received this little scope today and here are my first impressions.

First of all it's very small and compact but surprisingly heavy. Feels very solid. The tube is finished in an off-white pebble type finish that was well applied with no blemishes. The single speed crayford has a very smooth focusing action and is very easy to focus precisely.The coatings on the objective were perfect. So high marks overall for fit and finish.

The tube ring is a one piece machined part that is tightened by a single screw on one side and has a couple of mounting holes on the bottom for attaching a dovetail or a photo QR plate. Surprisingly there's no felt lining on the inside of the ring. The retractable dew-shield is a very tight fit and takes a fair bit of pressure to slide open or closed. Thankfully the screw on lens cap only takes a couple of turns to unscrew.

I replaced the ring(s) with a set of WO guide rings as I wanted to be able to use the scope as a finder. The rings are only slightly bigger than the OTA, but enough to allow for alignment. I replaced the WO chrome thumbscrews with some nylon tipped grub screws. In daytime testing using high mag on a shiny aerial in full sunlight there was a purple fringe around black parts of the aerial. Not surprising with an f/5 achro I suppose. The optics were nice and sharp though. The seeing wasn't that good tonight but at least it was clear. Jupiter had a blueish fringe around it, but not too objectionable.I think a minus violet filter is called for here. However this is never going to be a planetary scope is it. The Pleiades were a magnificent sight though, nice and sharp and well defined, and showed what this scope IS good at.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_1_1_52

PROS
Compact
Solidly built
Excellent fit and finish
Good focuser
Sharp Optics
Value for money

CONS
CA at high mag
Focuser screws onto OTA so can't be replaced with a standard replacement dual speed crayford
Heavier than expected

AR80S Specs:
Aperture - 80mm
Focal ratio - F/5
Focal length - 400mm
Objective - Achromatic doublet
Optical coatings - Broadband FMC (fully multi-coated)
Optical tube - Internally anti-reflection coated, knife-edge baffles
Dew shield - Retractable with metal screw-type cap
Finder-scope mount - Yes
Focuser - Single speed Crayford
Focuser adapter - Accepts 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and diagonals
Focuser tube travel - 70mm (marked in 1mm intervals)
Tube rings - Single wide tube ring with photographic 1/4" thread
Tube weight (inc rings) - 2kg with single speed focuser or 2.1kg with dual speed focuser
Minimum tube length - 310mm with retracted dew-shield
Maximum tube length - 365mm with extended dew-shield
Tube diameter - 97mm
Frontal dewshield diameter - 110mm
Construction - All metal construction
Suitable for use with bino-viewers
Case Nylon, padded

So overall it's what I expected it to be, a compact and portable widefield scope with excellent build quality that can be used as a finder and should make a great guidescope later on.

John

John, thank you for your report. I am actively considering the AR90S Gold, and your report has given me confidence in the quality of Opticstar telescopes. I have been around the houses as far as choice is concerned apo/achro/newt???!!!, however for low hassle observing and VFM the achro seems a good bet. I am sure that the branded telescopes like Vixen, Williams et al are good quality but the price difference goes into sales/marketing/supplier mark-ups so with Opticstar you seem to be paying for the build quality rather than the overheads - it seems that Opticstar is a well ket secret! Your photographs are excellent as the web-site photos do not give a fair representation. Thanks again.

AndyH

AndyH

Russian Informer

• Advanced Members
  • 4,626 posts
For the build quality alone, this scope is a remarkable price !!

Andy.
Tal 200K, Tal 2M, Tal 1, Tal M, Tal Alcor, Burgess CaF2/La 90mm Doublet Apo, Carton 60mm F16.7 Achro, PZO T50x70 Maksutov, Dark Star 6.25" F7.7 Newt/Dob
Eyepieces, mounts n stuff

Albums - http://stargazerslou...user/381-andyh/

johninderby

johninderby

Red Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 4,747 posts
Amazingly compact little travel scope. Never mind airline portable, it would nearly fit in a coat pocket.

John

Attached Thumbnails

• 72968d1321097505-another-sleepless-night-short-tube-telescope-decision-help-ar80s.jpg

carldr

carldr

Star Forming

• Members
  • 114 posts
If there was a prize for "cutest telescope", we'd have a winner.

Great review.
Scopes, Mounts, Cameras, Clouds. Lots of clouds.

My astronomy photos.

Skills

Skills

Star Forming

• Members
  • 130 posts
I like that in one of the pictures you fitted a finder - to a scope you were thinking of using as a finder! The nesting opportunities seem endless...

Capricorn

Capricorn

White Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 3,786 posts

I am sure that the branded telescopes like Vixen, Williams et al are good quality but the price difference goes into sales/marketing/supplier mark-ups so with Opticstar you seem to be paying for the build quality rather than the overheads

Don't know about Vixen but WO don't make an achro, they are all ED doublets or triplets. Also they are longer then f/5. So the CA on a WO is a lot less then the Opticstar.

With WO you are paying for the quality of the lens as well as the rest of their scopes build.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users