Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skytee 2 Review

jam1e1

Having used the Skytee 2 on a couple of occasions, thought I’d share experience to date. Used with a SW120ED Frac mounted on the top puck, also SW250pds Newt on side puck – note not at same time.

EQ vs Alt-AZ

Having used the EQ for roughly 1.5yrs, changing to alt az takes a bit of getting used to, just in terms of way its pushed around. Whilst not difficult, slightly different experience but overall more pleasing once used to it, as better freedom of movement.

Movement

The movement of the ST2 is a lot more stiff than EQ5 with clutches disengaged – the main advantage is with the Newt – added weight acts as good counterbalance and gives you fluid movement without need to engage clutches every time you stop. Whilst not every position will hold , over a wide range mounthead will hold angle and allow an easy navigation around sky – particularly useful with wide angle eyepiece. With the Frac, again quite smooth but the lighter scope means extra effort to pushing around. Not difficult but where it comes down to personal preference.

Clutches and Slow-mo adjusters

With clutches engaged the EQ5 gave better stability – what i mean is the ST2 had some slippage in altitude axis but think this can be addressed by adjusting the bolts. Never saw this with EQ5 –was virtually rock solid in terms of holding angle, again maybe just down to balance/adjustment of bolts, guess there is a lot more strain on the clutch in altitude due to vertical as opposed to ~51% incline with EQ5. Saw this both on Frac and Newt

The slow mo adjusters are significantly more robust and solid on ST2 than the EQ5. On EQ5 the adjusters have fallen off a few times –just pushed back on as they are push-fit. ST2 ones are screwed on and have tension adjusters. Also has 2x as standard as opposed to one, so significant improvement.

Pucks

When the dovetail fits ok and locked on, grip is pretty solid and even though looks slightly ‘under-tensioned’, not really worried about coming off. Both on Frac and Newt.

This is where my issue lies- Have included photos, the side puck appeared to have max clearance of 43mm from closed to open before thread ran out and adjuster pops off along with nylon washer. The SW dovetails measure 43mm, hence a very fine balance between getting dovetail in and having it pop off as spring loaded compression fit. To date have experienced at least 4 instances where unscrewed ‘too much’ in field and washer/puck jaw flew off into grass. Luckily had torch to locate and found every time, but may be matter of time before something gets lost.....In addition in the dark find it really difficult to mount Newt on side puck – due to not being able to open jaws wide enough.

The top puck measured clearance of 47mm before pops off, hence this one has a lot more play/room to fit in dovetail.
Seems to be a potential error in their QA procedures....

Last issue was the puck came fitted such that the clutch handle actually made contact with tension knob – simple fix is to unscrew and remount 180deg as shown in photo.

On the plus side I like the fact is it one knob for adjusting – if you have a large 10” newt really handy if mounting ‘in the field’ by yourself.

Mounthead on EQ5

Both the Frac and Newt came to hit the legs at certain altitudes/azimuth, but is easily overcome. Only issue comes about if observing around that particular point. Personally will possibly look to getting the spacer to give more convenient observing without obstruction.
Mount head fits solidly onto legs so no issue from that point of view.

Overall

To conclude the ST2 is a robust and solid built mounthead with a number of advantages of EQ5 for visual observing. The biggest advantage is with the Newt and removal of need to constantly reposition eyepiece by rotating scope, along with free-movement around night sky.

If I didn’t own, would I still buy? The answer is yes – although need to consider additional cost of spacer between mounthead and legs for obstruction free viewing, also potential new puck at £60 should other mountheads have similar issue with limited puck jaw opening room on one of the pucks– this has caused some frustration. Should Skywatcher get this fixed, would have no hesitation to fully recommend.

post-21419-133877649574_thumb.jpg

post-21419-133877649581_thumb.jpg

post-21419-133877649587_thumb.jpg

post-21419-133877649593_thumb.jpg

post-21419-133877649599_thumb.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you know why the ADM dovetail saddle is the first upgrade for the Skytee 2 for most people. :)

BTW if you remove the knob on the dovetail saddle you should be able to unscrew the mounting post a bit to allow the jaws to open further without the knob coming off. You should Loctite the screw afterwards though.

John

Thats a very helpful review - thanks for posting it :)

I borrowed a Skytee II for a while and, while I liked many aspects of it, I had the same problem that you did with the dovetail "pucks". It rather put me off putting my heavier scopes on the mount and I believe Skywatcher needs to have a look at the design here. I discussed this at a recent Astro Fair with the folks from First Light Optics so hopefully the issue will be fed back to the manufacturer in due course.

Otherwise the mount has great promise as a heavy duty alt-azimuth mount with slow motion controls at a reasonable price, in my opinion.

PS: IMHO and with respect to John, a buyer of this mount should not be expected to invest a further chunk of £'s in decent dovetail saddles - getting them right is hardly rocket science after all.

thanks both for comments - seems this is a known issue.

totally agree on the point around not investing more for puck, if I have to I will, but will see if a mod option is possible i.e. inserting a longer thread on the puck width adjuster so doesnt pop off after 4mm opening! if that works ill be happy . such a shame considering rest of mount build is really good.

• 3 weeks later...

a brief update, been in contact with the manufacturers/suppliers:

Contacted Skywatcher, was told it was not 'technically' theirs and to speak to OVL (Distributor)

Contacted OVL, they kindly contacted the factory: "advised by the factory that the side puck is designed to be fitted with a dovetail bar from the side not from the front"

In summary not quite sure what they were trying to get at, but appears they dont see this as issue unfortunately - going by the fact that another manufacturer has designed a replacement for the puck, I beg to differ!

a brief update, been in contact with the manufacturers/suppliers:

Contacted Skywatcher, was told it was not 'technically' theirs and to speak to OVL (Distributor)

Contacted OVL, they kindly contacted the factory: "advised by the factory that the side puck is designed to be fitted with a dovetail bar from the side not from the front"

In summary not quite sure what they were trying to get at, but appears they dont see this as issue unfortunately - going by the fact that another manufacturer has designed a replacement for the puck, I beg to differ!

I think they mean that you slide the dovetail in lengthwise so you don't need to open the puck as much.

I did think that, but no way you can as the retainer bolts are in the way - see dovetail pic above!

FWIW I would not be happy with the response from Skywatcher / OVL / Synta either :)

If you advertise a mount as heavy duty and capable of carrying 2 15kg optical tube assemblies then the dovetail pucks need to be up to the job. The ones on the Skytee II that I was loaned were not up to the job IMHO, as, by the sound of it, were yours.

I really can't understand why a manufacturer which is capable of building some really fine products can't design and manufacture something like this properly :(

Wonder where they would stand if a heavy, expensive OTA drops off a mount one night - worst still if it damages an astronomer on the way down :)

I have the original SkyTee which has a good dovetail saddle. When the SkyTee 2 was released with slow motion controls I was keen to upgrade.

I saw the SkyTee 2 in action at SGL6 trying to hold a 190mm Mak/Newt - it did not look safe.

I agree with johninderby that the ADM dovetail saddle is a great upgrade but why should I need to spend extra money to improve a new mount.

I won't be buying the SkyTee2 until the dovetail saddle is corrected. If Skywatcher/OVL feel the current set up is OK then they have a lost a possible sale.

Mark

After spending £275 on this mount, not to mention 250pds and 120ed, naturally would expect them to be a bit more receptive to issues!

FLO have been fantastic with customer service - offered a full refund well after time i bought it - though i still like the mount so dont want to part with it - was above and beyond in my eyes.

Another email has gone back to OVL for SW factory with pic of dovetail/protruding bolts asking just how a skywatcher dovetail fits into the skywatcher puck 'as designed', will keep all updated with progress.

Shame as rest of mount is great.

nice setup John, where you get those from or you have the spec?

I tried your unscrew mod - have got another ~2mm of clearance, just need to loctite it in now

The dovetails are the standard SkyWatcher long dovetails. I just drill new mounting holes in the bottom of the dovetail and countersink them, and then use stainless countersunk bolts.

John

• 5 weeks later...

Hi there was thinking of getting this mount for the Skywatcher 127 Mak and have a choice of a Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Synscan Goto Mount. This mount would be easier to set up than the EQ5 and also would think of attaching a small refractor to the other end of this mount. Can a motor drive be attached or a synscan and also does it come with slow motion controls. Thanks :rolleyes:

dont think would work either way - the synscan is build to move motors assuming an equatorial setup - the motors would need to run at different rates and no real way to polar align.

Yes comes with slow motion controls, its really built to be a manually operated mount

Works perfectly in EQ mode (with a wedge of course) and can be polar aligned. For Alt-Az GOTO you would need motors with encoders so it's just a motorised mount in Alt-Az. SkyWatcher raided the EQ5 parts bin with this mount so fortunately the worm drives and gearing ratios are the same, hence it tracks perfectly with the Synscan motors.

Gives me a great EQ GOTO mount if I want it, or just use the hand control instead of the slo-mo controls in Alt-Az.

John

• 1 month later...

I replied and asked following start september:

"Thanks for contacting them, could you send them this picture and ask how my skywatcher newt with skywatcher dovetail, with protruding bolts, can slide into the skywatcher dovetail ‘as designed’?"

I attached the first dovetail pic.

Reply was as follows:

" "

a very conclusive and customer focused effort......

Another reminder just sent!

Hi Mark yes certainly- main selling points to me are the newt eyepiece stays in one plane and doesn't end up in awkward positions, also with clutches off the mount stays balanced and static and can nudge in direction required. Looking to invest in extension pillar as do get scope/legs colliding at certain angles but all in all haven't used eq5 since. Jamie

Update: post sending my latest reply, got a response back next day asking to send puck back to OVL for analysis - sent back and got a replacement puck in 2 days! Build is same but appears to be slight modification to the bolt - either way this one clears around 47mm easily so plenty of room now to easily get dovetail in/out.

Glad its finally resolved!

Actually Mark re-looking at this its a different design so expect this is general improvement (would hope so at least!!)

1) the washer is now glued to the handle so if comes off will not loose in the dark!

2) the two pins with springs to provide tension are now screwed in to the jaw so the puck will not open more than ~48mm ie never comes apart as old one did

Dimensions are identical. Either way in my view 2 significant improvements to the puck

post-21419-133877704059_thumb.jpg

Archived