Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

where is the eq4 mount?

Its a EQ5 in disguise

I thought that was the CG5 ? - my CG5 certainly looked identical to the EQ5 that I used to own. It's rumoured to have better bearings though and it comes with the 2" steel tripod of course.

It doesn't help when an EQ1 and EQ6 have the same size image on a web page!

I have a CG5 already. I have just bought a 'fire damaged' CG4 from an SGL member and am awaiting delivery.

I will post a photo of them side by side. Maybe next Monday/Tuesday.

Any questions of accuracy, load carrying, etc, I leave to someone else!

Originally from the Helios days the EQ4 was the earlier version on the EQ5. It was sold as an EQ4/5 but it was almost always referred to as an EQ5. It is identical to the newer Deluxe EQ5 in every manner except for it's internal workings. Some of the Skywatcher blue tubes were sold with the EQ4/5 also. The New Deluxe "EQ5" and CG5 have I believe 2 sets of bearings (or at least improved bearings) and a larger bore running through the polar finder holder (maybe because of the bearing upgrade or a change in manufacturer/castings). The EQ4/5 had only 1 bearing and a thinner polar scope bore. It's the thinner bore that allows you to distinguish if you have the earlier EQ4/5 mount or the newer improved one. Most polar scopes now sold come as a unit that screws directly where the RA setting circles are. If you have the older EQ5 the new polar scopes will not fit and you would need to find the older straight tube/cross hair type.

SPACEBOY

The EQ4 had an EQ5 equatorial head on the lighter EQ3-2 tripod.

Peter

This was not always the case and most the later blue tube SW's came with the EQ4/5 on a 1.75" Stainless steel tripod. The older Helios came with the aluminum tripod and I think the dark blue SW's may have also ?

Archived