Controlling my Skymax 127 from laptop

Hi everyone. I have my first head scratching moment with my 127. I have got to grips with the handset. I have got a Philips webcam working between scope and laptop. However, I can't find a connection between the tripod and the laptop. The RS232 cable that came with the scope has a 9 pin female connection for the laptop. However, the only serial port on my laptop (which is fairly new) is a 15 pin female. I have tried adaptors but the laptop won't talk to the tripod. Any advice would be most welcome as a currently don't have a way of connecting the two. Thanks

Yeah that's the VGA port for sure. You'll prolly need a serial to USB adapter, they can be picked up for a couple of quid.

Then it's just a matter of installing the adapter driver and enabling and configuring the plugin in the 'Plugins' tab of the 'Configuring' [F2] window of Stellarium.

EDIT: That's it :) though that's very expensive.

EDIT2: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-RS232-SERIAL-DB9-9-PIN-ADAPTER-CABLE-GPS-PDA-/270491516064?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3efa8cfca0#ht_1489wt_1135

Don't be put off. Like many things, it's not that difficult, once someone points you in the right direction. I have all my software and drivers ready to go. The only thing that wasn't working was a link between the laptop and the mount but if you look at the link in this thread from Helios, that is the missing link. A serial to usb converter. Helios is truly a star (forgive the pun).

Sadly, although I have downloaded all the Ascom drivers, Stellarium, Stellarium Scope and got my new lead from Astronomiser, I still can't get the scope and the laptop to talk to each other. Stellarium Scope diagnostic is fine but nothing works. I'd appreciate any ideas. I am running windows 7 if that helps

To simplify things a little, if you have the lastest version of Stellarium, you can control the mount without the use of Ascom or Stellariumscope. Press F2 and then go to Plugins. Select Telescope Control and then the Load at startup button. Restart Stellarium and then go back to the Plugins > Telescope control > configure. Either reconfigure your existing telescope connection or add a new telescope, select Stellarium to control the mount and select start/connect on startup. Scroll down to device settings and select the comm port that your serial/usb cable is assigned to and then in device model select Skywatcher Synscan AZ-GOTO as the mount. Restart Stellarium with the mount connected.

Peter

Make sure in stellarium that you choose the alt/az view (it comes up eq by default). Then when you click on a target and hit ctrl-1 it will get the correct co-ords. That's after you get the pc/scope talking of course). :)

Aargh. Folllowed the instructions above by the book and still no joy. My laptop knows the port is in use, Stellarium says the scope is connected but still no control of the mount from the laptop. I think I am going to have a mystery for a while

Have you updated the software for the scope recently? Check your version against what's currently avaliable on SW site. You might find it fixes any known issues with particular scopes. :)

(do the same for Stellarium too)

Archived