Celestron Skymaster 15 x 70 Binoculars

Frankie, there are great for the money and you certainly won't go wrong in getting hold of a pair. The only thing I would say is that they probably benefit from being on a tripod as they aren't the lightest of binos, although a little weight is useful in steadying the view. The bracket that comes with them is not the best either but that's not expensive to replace. For the money and for looking at the sky they're pretty good!

James

Hi Frankie,

I have a pair of Skymaster 15x70 as well. Very nice for the money, and quite light weight for their size, but really too much magnification to hand hold. You can pull it off during the day, but not at night - you will need a tripod. The good news is that since these bins are fairly light weight, you will probably be able to use any tripod that would hold a common DSLR camera.

Dan

If you have months to decide, why not put some time in with the local astro club? Somebody probably has one of each of the models you are interested in, and will probably be happy to let you have a go and try them out for yourself.

There's nothing for saving money like trying before you buy, and talking to a mate who has already bought one! :)

Dan

I bought a pair of the Celestron bins from Rother Valley Optics a week ago, and they're marvellous. I find that they're perfectly usable without a tripod, as long as you can let your face take the weight, or if you can use your thumbs as a brace against your cheekbones. A good reclining garden chair is also helpful.

While I'd always use my scope for planets or the moon, the bins are great on things like the Pleiades. It's also really nice to be able to pan around without being limited by the mount. I've learned so much more of the sky using the bins, as well. I would highly recommend them to a novice like me, but from what I can see, more experienced people swear by them too.

Frankie, there are great for the money and you certainly won't go wrong in getting hold of a pair. The only thing I would say is that they probably benefit from being on a tripod as they aren't the lightest of binos, although a little weight is useful in steadying the view. The bracket that comes with them is not the best either but that's not expensive to replace. For the money and for looking at the sky they're pretty good!

James

Where would I get a replacement bracket ? I have the Revelation version and the tripod bracket is a bit poor.

I've had the Revelation 15x70's although have now upgraded to the 20x80's :). The 15x70's were fabulous - I have not tried the Celestron's but there seems to be a prevaling view that they are both made in the same factory and just branded differently. The Tripod adapter that comes woith the Celestrons is plastic and has had poor reviews - I went for the Opticron Large L Bracket from FLO which proved very good. You do need a good tripod to get the most out of these Bincs - plan to spend as much or more on the tripod than the Bincs - it is worth it.

Archived