Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My Startravel 120! (My first, and hopefully not my last)

lw24

Hi all,

I recently aquired my first telescope: Skywatcher Startravel 120 on AZ3 (Soon to be AZ4 :p), and finally decided to post some pictures of it. It's not that exotic compared to some peoples 'scopes (e.g. 6" Apo, 12" Dob), but I think that some people may want to see my modest first telescope.

So, here it is:

post-24877-133877563784_thumb.jpg

Mounted on the AZ3 <-- Soon to be AZ4

post-24877-133877563792_thumb.jpg

Tube close up

post-24877-1338775638_thumb.jpg

Business end - Primary lens

post-24877-133877563808_thumb.jpg

Down the red dot sight

post-24877-133877563815_thumb.jpg

My accessories bag, notice the ingenious eyepiece storage compartment at the front. :)

Thanks all for looking, won't stay like that for long, in the next week or two, I plan to have it mounted on an AZ4. :p

Cheers!

Clear Skies

You will have a lot of fun with that scope - the wide angle views are spectacular. You may find that you want a barlow lens to help with magnification on planetary and lunar views, though.

Let us know how you do on the moon!

Dan

You will have a lot of fun with that scope - the wide angle views are spectacular. You may find that you want a barlow lens to help with magnification on planetary and lunar views, though.

Let us know how you do on the moon!

Dan

I have a 2x Barlow, in the accessories bag picture, its in the front pocket, far left.

Also in the accessories bag, are: Homemade aperture masks (80mm, 70mm, 60mm), 7x50 binos (Concord Coated Optics <-- 50 years old!), my Red Dot Finder (when not in use), notepad and pens.

The moon has been really nice and crisp, I just can't believe how sharp the detail is at 120x. With the use of an 80mm aperture mask and a moon filter, all the CA is gone.

I've had the telescope for about a month now, just took a while to get the pictures uploaded :)

Cheers

To be honest, if I'd of had the money, I would of gone for the ST150 :)

My AZ4 is currently being dispatched :p

My refractor is only 133mm - and at f/12, it's plenty big enough for me! I have found that longer f/ratio does more for me than slightly more aperture and shorter f/ratio of the 150.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I have emailed FLO about a 120 on the EQ for their opinion on it before I finally get a scope, I really like the 120. Having seen your pics I might just order it now.......

I've found it a great telescope so far.

If I'd have known that the AZ3 mount wouldn't have been substantial, I would have ordered it on the EQ3-2 in the first place. Doesn't matter now, as I've replaced it with a quality AZ4 :eek:

I've found it good at picking out Deep Sky Objects, and your first view of the Moon through it will take your breath away. It's just so sharp!

I'd recommend buying a 2x Barlow, and a 90 degree diagonal shortly after you get it, as it comes with a 45 degree prism, which isn't really up to the job. The barlow will be useful for pushing the magnification up on the Moon, and Planets (Saturn at the moment).

2x Barlow

90 Degree Diagonal

You'll probably be told that a 6 inch dob (Skywatcher Skyliner 150p), is better suited to beginners, but here's my theory:

Yes the ST120 costs more, yes it has less apeture, and yes it has some Chromatic Abberation. However, the Skyliner 150p has to cool down, it requires collimation, it's less portable, its got central obstruction (which means it loses contrast), and it has coma.

The Skyliner 150p doesn't neccessarily win just because it has more apeture.

Good Luck!

Clear Skies

well I ordered it just after my last post and am waiting for it to arrive. The one on EQ mount comes with 90 degree diagonal so I won't have to worry about that. I feel 10 years old again!

Cheers

Dale

well I ordered it just after my last post and am waiting for it to arrive. The one on EQ mount comes with 90 degree diagonal so I won't have to worry about that. I feel 10 years old again!

Cheers

Dale

It's a great scope, enjoy it! :)

I'd definately buy a 2x barlow though, it'll enable you to get some decent views of Saturn and is great for scanning the terminator on the Moon.

Clear Skies!

• 2 weeks later...
Just when I thought I had made my mind up.....:)

That looks a nice bit of kit. :)

Haha! The joys of choosing a first scope :hello2:

It's a pretty nice bit of kit, and on a good mount, is a quality setup.

Clear Skies

Archived