Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Filters for DSO viewing.

I seek your advice, gentle readers! What filter might you recommend for a telescope when attempting to see more clearly the various nebulas in DSOs. At present all I can usually discern is a rather feeble smudge. The telescopes in question are 6" Dob, 6" LS6 and a 120mm refractor. Thank you.

a fillter may help you tease out some detail on some of the nebula's. I don't have any so can't advise as to what is best. But I feel I should point out that in all but the largest telescopes a faint smudge is all you will see. the pics you see are the result of long exposure images and the eye can't compete with those.

I've found UHC and O-III type filters work well on nebulae, especially planetary nebulae and supernova remnants (eg: the Veil Nebula).

For galaxies and clusters the way to improve the views is to observe under dark skies - filters don't bring any improvements with those objects.

Sorry for jumping on your thread Old glyn, but been thinking of getting a filter for a while now to do the same, i kept leaning towards a O-III and then looking at others but i think you guys have made up my mind...cheers O-III it is then:icon_salut:

I use a Lumicon UHC, which transmits O-III and H-beta. I've used it successfully on all my scopes from 80mm to 12" aperture. With the 12" and UHC I've seen the Horsehead (just!) from a dark site.

Archived