Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

skywatcher mak 180 first light 8/4/11

having scoured the net for info on this ota i thought it would be rude not add my thoughts for what they are worth!

1st impression of this ota is its a lot heavier than i expected (8kg) aesthetically it looks stunning.

conditions looked good,nice clear sky with a little haze.

1st target was the waxing crescent moon using a 24mm hyperion (x112) the whole moon (crescent+ earthshine) fitted nicely in the field of view.very sharp image,plenty of detail,upping the power to 13mm hyperion (x207) again very sharp, lovely surface detail with much more power to spare,but saturn was calling!

again starting with 24mm hyperion (x112) very nice clear image.the rings looking very nice now they are opening up.upping the power to 13mm hyperion (x207) again very sharp clear image,3 moons visible, some banding visible on the disc,but i could not see the cassini division.

tried the 8mm (x337) a bit too much for the conditions and position of the object and the 5mm (x540) well it was worth a go!

summing up this is a very powerful ota,and is going to be my favorite choice for lunar and planetary,i can see this getting a lot of use and i am looking forward to trying it on some dso's as well!

• 11 months later...

Having Researched this scope for over a year I have finally got my hands on one for an incredible low price £400+ so watch this space as I put this scope through the mill.

I have a Skywatcher 127Mak and has been pointed out many times that many amateurs when astroimaging never achieve the full limit of there equipment!

I have used webcams for well over a year now in all my scopes up to the biggest which was the SW 127 (I Will never sell) and I have pictures that only mount Palomar could get

Yes that is the one and to date only a quick glance through has astonished me with just a Philip's web cam in the EP I seem to be getting images that are miles better than the 127 even though the seeing was poor.

This Scope has to be one of the best upgrades I have tried to date

Just out of interest...

The new ones on FLO come with a 2" dielectric diagonal.

Whats the widest eyepiece you can go with this scope?

I thought they only had a 28mm opening at the back of the tube and that it may vignette with certain eyepieces?

I think experiment is the only real test. Skymax MAKs do not necessarily vignette in a sudden way, so you may e.g. be able to use the commonly available 2" 30-something, 70deg e.p's, for a useful bit of extra True Field. Imaging-wise, it's always worthwhile adding a focal reducer - I've had my MAK150 working at F5 (and faster?) and covering a "half-inch" video chip. :)

Tony,

Do note my review on the FLO site about the 180Mak accessories.

It lists a 2" diagonal, with 1.25" adaptor and a 20mm and 9mm 1.25" eyepiece. Then in larger writing, a 2" dielectric diagonal and a 2" 28mm eyepiece. It said this when I bought my 180 but only actually came with the first lot of bits.

So I would double check with FLO what you expect to get.

Cheers

Ian

Tony,

Do note my review on the FLO site about the 180Mak accessories.

It lists a 2" diagonal, with 1.25" adaptor and a 20mm and 9mm 1.25" eyepiece. Then in larger writing, a 2" dielectric diagonal and a 2" 28mm eyepiece. It said this when I bought my 180 but only actually came with the first lot of bits.

So I would double check with FLO what you expect to get.

Cheers

My 180 also came with 1.25 ep`s but a 2" diagonal with 1.25 reducer, and yes the visual back is only about 28 mm, i just use my one with 1.25 ep`s now

Ian

:)

Archived