Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where is Saturn?

scotty_le_b

Last night after having a good long look at the Moon I decided to and find Saturn before bed. So I found something where I thought it should be and focused on it but it was just a ball of light. I was pretty dis-heartened then I realised that I was probably looking at a star:o So I had a look at my laptop and checked where it should be and tried again but once again it was just a ball of light. I am borrowing a 60mm refractor until my first telescope arives. I read that I should be able to see the rings, is this true? Can anyone help?

Hi,

Saturn is currently in Virgo, which is below the back end of Leo. It is not particularly bright at the moment and can easily be mistaken for a star. If you have a low power eyepiece, try to locate Saturn with that before racking up the magnification. Don't give up, because Saturn is looking really good right now. Hope you get your new telescope soon.

Best wishes,

Liz

I suspect you were looking at Arcturus, which is up and to the left of Jupiter. You can generally tell a planet by it's steadiness, stars tend to flicker more. Also, Jupiter has a slightly red tint to it, whereas Arctutus is brilliant white.

EDIT: Oops, I meant Saturn of course

Archived