Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Damn pesky streetlight

Hi all,

Sometimes, I like the convenience of observing from my back garden, which is very small. It means I don't have to drive out into the middle of nowhere everytime there's a clear night.

Observing from my back garden is fine for looking at the Moon, Saturn, and the Orion Nebula to a certain degree, but the problem is, I have a streetlight shining directly into my back garden.

It illuminates the whole garden, not a single part is dark, and this is very annoying, as it creates a sort of orangey haze in the section of sky around it.

I live in a fairly rural area, and barely have any light pollution, but this streetlight is extremely annoying, and I want to find a solution.

I've been looking around at some filters and have got a bit confused. UHC filters are supposedly 'nebulae' filters, therefore enhancing the view of certian nebulae. But apparently, they also block out the light from streetlights, so could one of these work?

Basically, the filter I want, is one that blocks out most of the streetlight glare, without dimming the stars too much in the sky. This is why I am confused, do I get a UHC, like the 'Castell UHC Deep Sky Filter' or the 'Baader UHC-S', or do I get a light pollution filter like the 'Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter'. I don't know whether I should get the Light Pollution Filter, as I don't actually have any proper Light Pollution, just a street light.

Cheers,

Hope you can help!

i have the same problem, i was trying to image the moon last night and its path took it straight in line with pesky street lamp, if only i could switch it off while working with the scope

Have you tried asking your local council to provide a shade on the back of the lamp? Some people have had successful responses to a shade request.

There's light pollution legislation on the statute books these days too. You might want to see the local environmental health office about it.

I've known people who took matters into their own hands and painted the back of an offending street light in black. This is a bit risky though, and could invite prosecution.

Buy a ladder and a coupple of thick black plastic bags... :rolleyes:

Well, maybe not.. But, would work at least, lol. :D

But i guess the best way is a simple LP filter that usually takes care of that orange glow, from what i've understood at least. I never got to buy a LP filter, so i can't talk from my own experience.

Have you tried asking your local council to provide a shade on the back of the lamp? Some people have had successful responses to a shade request.

There's light pollution legislation on the statute books these days too. You might want to see the local environmental health office about it.

I've known people who took matters into their own hands and painted the back of an offending street light in black. This is a bit risky though, and could invite prosecution.

If you have a window that overlooks the garden, try taking a photograph from inside the house to show how much light is shining inside from the streetlight. Councils tend to have a less than enthusiastic response to astro-related problems, but if you can show the light shines into the house (causing a nuisance) then they may be more keen to do something.

Just a thought ...

I have exactly the same problem - one pesky streetlight.

I've tried the SW LP filter barely helps - it blocks some of the sodium emission (orange) but not the blue from the mercury fill in the lamp.

My UHC filter works better, but dims the view a lot and lets through greenish/blue emission from the lamp.

The other solutions might be more effective......

Chris

I'm not sure if the council will come round to one streetlight to make it so that it suits my needs only...

How about a Baader Neodymium Filter?

Apparently UHC filters work the best at getting rid of wavelengths from streetlights, so can anyone recommend a fairly weak UHC filter. I live in the UK, so no Orion.

Cheers

The problem is that the street lights affect our night vision so looking through a filter might be okay, but then when you come away from the scope, you still want everything to be as dark as possible :D

I know someone that is selling their air rifle???:D

In a simular boat, the orange one's are bad enough but now the posts have been put in place outside for the new brighter ones and they're gonna be even closer:( Grumpy

Was at KHSP last week, proper dark, lovely, get the 'scope out at home and can't believe the difference a couple of streetlamps nearby make in what you can (or can't!) see. I only live 10 mins from KH aswell!

Archived