Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

reverse adapter

DOnt shoot me for asking htis....

why cant i find a 1.25" to 2" adapter?

I want to use 2" eps in a scope that has a 1.25" focuser.

Reason being i want to use 25/30mm widefield ep in a mak scope.

Its hard to find 70/80/100 deg fov eps in 24-30mm range. Most of them are 2"

I know technically this is a waste of time, but thats not the point. There is a daylight application for this type of setup, and even if the returns are small, it should be doable.

*ducks*

:)

? something to do with length of the barrel on the ep? travel focus and all that.

The Televue 24mm Panoptic is a 68-degree eyepiece and is very nice by all accounts. Bit pricey though. GSO made/make a 65 degree 20mm too... think it was/is called the Superview? Yep - here you go: GSO 1.25" SuperView Eyepiece - 20mm 68-degree.

Or, the Vixen LVW 22mm with a 65-degree apparent field of view is a nice contender.

Not that this helps with your adapter query, but it shows there are some nice 1.25" options if you're forced to go down that route.

Ant

I want to use 2" eps in a scope that has a 1.25" focuser.

Reason being i want to use 25/30mm widefield ep in a mak scope.

But you won't get a wider field of view, this is limited by the 1.25" hardware attached to the scope.

A 2" EP will be heavier, will likely cost more and the extra length of the adapter may result in difficulty getting to focus.

Fact of the matter is, the Mak is not a good design for a rich field scope ... suggest you get a cheap short focus refractor or giant binoculars to use instead of your Mak when you really need a wide view. The Mak is great for planets etc.

Baader actually include a (rather curious) curved barrel 1.25" -> 2" adapter with their Aspheric eyepieces... Sadly this doesn't appear to be sold separately. On the other hand it looses about 10deg of apparent field, thereby rendering the 31mm 70deg very similar in true field to 24mm in 1.25" format. Rather unweildy, in practice, too. A more mechanically solid idea is to use a 2" (or 35mm) diagonal on the back of the MAK... and then experiment. :)

You could check out the Hyperion 24mm: also 68 deg FOV, has had good reviews and much cheaper than the panoptics. Use a 2" EP in a small Mak and you will get horrible vignetting. Even in the SCTs you need something like a C8 to support 2" EPs, the 5" and 6" versions cannot provide the FOV needed for a 2".

I was lookig at the 26mm here to try this out.

http://www.garrettoptical.com/product-p/gswa2.0ep.htm

or a meade qx

want to add some pics to this discussion, but very busy this week(

its starting to dawn on me that a finder scope would be more useful for wideview.....trying to do it with a mak, is really pushing sq peg in round hole!

As granny fiddlesticks put it: ya can lead a piggy ta market, but ya canny make it jig.

Archived