Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1000D Help

Hi,

Sorry but I'm a total novice to Astrophotography!

I recently bought a Canon 1000D camera and also a 2" eyepiece adapter to connect it to my 10" DOB. I have no problem connecting it to the telescope. However, when I try to find an object in the sky and take an image, I always seem to get an image of the primary/secondary mirror? How do I focus the camera to view the stars to take a photo?

I have tried focusing with the telescope rack, but nothing changes.

Please help! :)

If you wait a few days till the moon is visible in the evening try to focus on that (or use a far off church tower or pylon if you can see one) - its far easier than a star!! Then mark (with a felt tip pen) where "focus" is on your focussing tube - this will give you a rough guide for the future. You will find that the focusser movement from "out of>perfect>too far in" focus is actually very small and is quite easy to simply overshoot until you are used to it.

A common problem with DSLRs hooked up to a newtonian is that there is insufficient inward travel of the focuser to achieve focus - I'm thinking it's probably the same problem for a dob. To confirm this, point at a bright star and take series of short exposures, each time adjusting the focus inwards - you should be able to see the circle reducing. If you adjust the focuser all the way in and still have a circle, then this is definately the problem.

Solutions - either move the primary mirror up the tube (not something I fancy doing personally) or consider a low profile focuser. Using a barlow might enable you to achieve focus but remember that this is reducing the field of view, increasing the effective focal length and will make imaging so much harder.

I think I know what's wrong here. Are you using an adapter like this...?

max_dslr_adaptor_thumb.jpg

if so, the problem is that these adapters don't allow the camera to get close enough to get focus. What you need is a T-Ring adapter and the 1.25" EP adapter that came with the scope, which unscrews in to 2 pieces and the T-Ring adapter screws in to one of them, like so...

http://stargazerslounge.com/1598275-post5.html

This allows the camera to get a good inch closer in and you should be able to achieve focus.

Hope that helps :)

Archived