Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging source CCD Cameras

valleyman

Has anybody got strong views on these Cameras.

What are they best at Planets/Luner or DSO

What is best to buy. Mono with filters or Colour.

DMK 31AU03.AS Mono

DMK 31AU03.AS Colour

DMK 41AU02.AS Mono

DFK 41AU02.AS Colour

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks are moving on all the time but when I was looking for one for lunar and planetary NickH recommended the smaller DMK21AU04AS (Mono with No IR filter) to get max possible frame rate... it's also handty for IR pass which helps a lot on the moon... for Colour with the mono cams you would ideally need a set of parafocals filter and a wheel as you only have a few mins to grab all the colour data ...

They can do longer exposures and I have used mine as an "electronic" EP and guidecam...

Peter...

Neither!!!

I use the firewire versions of the DMK21 and DMK41 for solar and spectroscopic imaging...so no problems with filters...

They are great "industrial strength" cameras which do the job 100%.

The DMK 31 seems to be the "compromise" solution.

The '21 is best for planets or high magnification closeups of lunar/solar surfaces. The '41 is best for wide area views of the lunar/solar surface. The '31 is a good compromise.

Mono is best - because of the freedom to image in the UV or IR - and mono is fine for the moon which has essentially no colour anyway. Solar work really requires a mono camera. The issue with the colour camera is the reduced sensitivity & resolution caused by the Bayer matrix - but the DBK "one shot colour" camera is fine for Jupiter or Saturn - the one to avoid is the DFK, you do NOT want IR blocking built in! A UV/IR blocking filter is a valuable accessory but being forced to use it is Not A Good Thing.

There is a '51 camera coming (1600 x 1200 @ 12 fps) I WANT ONE NOW!

D*K51 has ICX274 at €800.00 on their web page. I wonder if they release it with the artifacts fix and other improvements planned/in the works for new versions of 21-41?

The TIS cameras can be used for various things. You can even play in very wide field imaging with cheap CS lenses (8-16 mm :)) putting the camera piggyback on the scope.

The IS Capture V2.2 normally works very well...am I missing something here??

I guess that was for me ??

if so, then , the big advantage of the 618 IS cameras is that it ( ..and I'm assuming here but reckon it's safe) is that it will be shipped with capture s/w unlike the other cams around where one has to shop for one - Firecapture for instance. For what I'll miss the most would be an integrated ability to use a USB FW, which I'm hoping IS Capture will allow via ascom?

Beamish,

You've lost me here:o

All the IS cameras ship with the IS Capture V2.2 software.

The DMK's I have are Firewire and IS has published a "speed me up" firewire preformance manager -which I use.

You don't have to go looking for software???!

I just wish they'd get a move on and release the 618 chipped versions- that way you can be sure of good capture s/w too :)

That's what I'm waiting for ATM, too. You can get a DMK21 modded with a 618 sensor, but obviously you're then paying for two CCD's = more cost.

Meh.. no rush B)

Beamish,

You've lost me here:o

All the IS cameras ship with the IS Capture V2.2 software.

The DMK's I have are Firewire and IS has published a "speed me up" firewire preformance manager -which I use.

You don't have to go looking for software???!

Sorry Ken !

the point I'm trying to make ,poorly, is that that is precisely the advantage of IS cams, they come shipped with capture s/w. Other cams don't or come with capture s/w that isn't user friendly for folks , rather for industrial use.

If/when IS release the 618 chipped D*K's they'll have capture s/w, unlike FLEA3, Basler Ace

I've got a DFK21, with no IR cut and it works fine, its surprisingly low noise even uncooled. If you fancy it there are easy ways to get a peltier working on it, and the industrial build quality is great. If you are on Mac you need to use Astro IIDC, but PHD guides with them natively.

So lets see if I have got this right.

The DMK 21AU04.AS Mono is a good all round CCD, well built and reliable. Able to take Luner, Solar and DSO's with Exposer time up to 60 mins and 60fps.

One other question , Is the softwar able to be preset for timed exposers so that you can just set up what exposers you want over what period of time the same way you can with the Cano EOS software.

Archived