Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M104 - Sombrero galaxy

Dave Smith

I was away from home until quite late last night so only had a relatively short time to image before the Moon rose.

This is the result of 1 hour (6 x 10min subs) before cloud covered the object. I wasn't too upset as the Moon was about to rise.

The subs were captured with the aid of APT (a brilliant progam for DSLR users) and stacked together with darks and flats in DSS. Processed in Photoshop CS2. This was with my Celestron 9.25" SCT at f10 and Canon 40D (modded). Guiding with PHD through an ST80 and with DMK21 camera.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement gratefully received.

Sombrero03.jpg

I was pleased to get something as the previous night I had done 24 x 10mins =4 hours on a virtually blank bit of sky. My GOTO didn't quite get there :D. I was trying to get ngc4567 and ngc4568, a pair of interacting galaxies. Perhaps it was a bit too ambitious.

Dave

Indeed very nice.

Perhaps you'd like to check Carboni's tools - for some enhanced constrast on the galaxy.

I'd also recommend saturating the image a little further (with mask on the sky, to avoid saturating the sky).

Cheers,

Harel

I'd go along with Boren......I'm sure he could do better but heres a very quick saturated and colour balanced edit. Needs a bit of sharpening perhaps.

Is the posted image a crop?

Thanks Boren and CW - I will have another play. Strangely I actually de-saturated it a little as I didn't think it was the natural colour. :D I like what you have done.

It was a fairly heavy crop. Here is an uncropped version.

Sombrero04.jpg

Given the size of the stars should I have cropped it less?

Dave

Archived