Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Coddington's Nebula (IC 2574)

MikeD

A dwarf Spiral galaxy that is an outlying member of the M81 group.

Again mist was a big problem in Swindon last night ,so much so I had to look for a target up near the pole away from the worst effects of the mist and associated LP.

I didn't hold out much hope but as always, if I can see stars I am loathed to not point a scope at them,:D so I set a run of 16 @ 7 min's (Upped from my normal 5 min's due to the CLS filter in the imaging train)

after which I pier flipped and set another run going and went to bed.

Alarm rang at 3:50am when I rolled over the obs roof and set some darks going.

Pleased with how the CLS filter helped and surprised with the result given the conditions (at 3:50 the sky was very orange).

44 @ 7 min's with the usual setup.

Mike.

yfronto-albums-mike-deegan-s-yfronto-s-images-picture10054-ic2574-l-41x.jpg

post-13376-133877552173_thumb.jpg

Conditions were poor here to last night - I popped out now and again but decided against imaging....

You've got a great result here though - really fine data for something so faint!

Damian

Thanks for the kind words.:D

Curves and levels Peter.

I have tried DDP but I find I can get as good/better results with Levels and curves and have more control.

I also use Neat image to sharpen as well as smooth (as separate processes) the image.

Mike.

Nice sharp image and an interesting subject. Are you planning to get any colour in it?

I have just been picking targets and shooting during these misty nights ( I have three on the go) not sure which ones I will go back to for colour, although this will respond well to Ha so it might go on the go back to list.

Mike.

I remember Tom How's image of this unusual galaxy and yours is excellent, I expect this has a heap of Ha the way it looks with delicate faint clumps caught well.

John.

Archived