Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 21st March

beamish

Processing Saturn is taxing ATM. I AM +ve that the scope and cam could produce better but, gonna sound like an excuse I know, my window of imaging opportunity is short and not best placed. However, I do think there's some improvement coming. Though ridding the images of noise is proving very hard :D

post-13438-13387755128_thumb.jpg

post-13438-133877551284_thumb.jpg

post-13438-133877551287_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I glad you bumped this post, I missed it first time round. What scope, barlow and camera did you use?

Looks like you got the focus just about perfect, nice large images.

Though, the do images seem a bit noisy, how many frames did you stack?

Cheers,

Chris

Chris- in answer , the scope's an Intes 715DeLuxe, Astro Engineering PhotoSupreme Barlow and a lumenera 070M

Shot @F30 at 23.23 UTC , so low at about SSE. Best of 775 frames BTW

SC I don't mind you fiddling with the image at all, tho I think you've overcooked it a tad-Image Analyser?? take a look at that Thanks for the comments guys.

The images were originally shot in an ROI of 240x240 then re-sized, no great improvement bringing them back to 240x240 :D so leave it as is.

This one has a bit more colour,from another data set -I think I prefer the muted versions.

post-13438-133877552245_thumb.jpg

Beamish, great image, I think tehlast one is the best processing. The graininess is just insufficient frames stacked which are sharp. Its a trade off against rotation blur on the disk. You can normally get away with about 2 minutes per channel on Saturn.

regards

Peter

Beamish, great image, I think tehlast one is the best processing. The graininess is just insufficient frames stacked which are sharp. Its a trade off against rotation blur on the disk. You can normally get away with about 2 minutes per channel on Saturn.

regards

Peter

Thanks Peter, appreciate it, 2 mins per channel ?? I was surprised at how utterly useless the L channel data was, if i were to skip that and possibly IR if it too wasn't upto much I can see where the extra time and frames could be gained .Is that what you meant ? But at F30 do you think I could get away with 2 mins p ch if I were to take in 4x filters?

I had thought of dropping L & IR next time out, but this certainly encourages me .:D

I reckon it's personal preference, but it looks over exposed and too blue overall- but I'm grateful for your efforts and the tip re: I A

You are correct about the blue Karlo but I think our monitors must have very different brightness levels :D

No worries Karlo I was not taking it as criticism, just surprised at what you consider over exposed. To me your images have the potential to be brilliant but they lack luminance. If you compare with Neil Philips or Johnh for instance.

To be honest, to be acheiving the level of resolution that you have on Saturn is an acheivement in itself. I myself am just starting out in imaging and would love to be acheiving the quality that you have captured. Admittedly there are better (usually down under) that are acheiving amazing results but lets be fair, these are not a world away, and surely with a little perseverence and tweeking you would possibly acheive a little better from the uk but not that much. The images are something for starters like myself to aspire to, as i said before, even with the noise the images are impressive.

Thanks for sharing.

No worries Karlo I was not taking it as criticism, just surprised at what you consider over exposed. To me your images have the potential to be brilliant but they lack luminance. If you compare with Neil Philips or Johnh for instance.

Wouldn't dare mate !:D 350mm to my 179mm and years more experience ! Aperture ATM does help

OldFruit, what you say means a lot to me and I am very flattered but look at this, and it wasn't that long ago

beamish-albums-karlo-s-pics-picture1469-saturn-2.bmp

so I'm pretty chuffed really.

The images you made before are all part of the learning curve so to speak, i am just starting out and you are obviously quite a bit further along :D. It is always a pleasure to see pictures like the ones you have posted, yes they have a little noise but on the whole they are great captures. And who am i to judge. As said before, thanks for sharing and hoping to see further posts.

Wouldn't dare mate !:D 350mm to my 179mm and years more experience ! Aperture ATM does help

I was not making a comparison in that sense indeed they are on a totally different image scale. I'm talking about how their images are processed...thats what i had in mind when brightening your image. You are making great progress for sure and I'm gonna quit waffling before I sound like an interfering know-it-all :p

I was not making a comparison in that sense indeed they are on a totally different image scale. I'm talking about how their images are processed...thats what i had in mind when brightening your image. You are making great progress for sure and I'm gonna quit waffling before I sound like an interfering know-it-all :p

You're not waffling and certainly not boring:)

I understand where you were coming from-my problem (prior to I A) was in brightening the image the noise, ( in PS CS3, even with Noise Ninja)) became unbearable so it was always going to be a trade off. re the other imagers- having larger aperture is always going to win with Saturn at the mo cos it's dim and I'm operating at F30 with a 7" Mak ( top optics mind) but I think Neil for eg is operating at F20 so apart from the aperture advantage there's also the fact that he can get oodlles more light to scale than I on his chip.Smaller pixels will help too :D

I'm not nor was I ever expecting to reach the quality resolution of images such as that for that very reason but I am struggling to reduce noise on the image because that's the balance twist gain/exp etc for my chip. I really like the ability in I A to deal with it ( noise) and hopefully will get another chance . I'm also going to take up Peter's advice and dump the IR filter and possibly the L and in order to stretch the channel times out to 1:45 - 2 mins that too would be a massive help.

Also as of next week I'll be able to try out the 618 mono chipped SPC ( smaller pixels by almost 1/4) 5.6 compared to the 7.4 on the lumenera.

Should be interesting:)

Archived