SW 9x50 or Telrad?

Hi all,

I'm struggling a little bit to find things in my 200P with an all erect 9x50 finder. Can anybody tell me the difference I'd find between one of these and a Telrad? In unchartered waters here.

Thanks

Paul

hi Paul

Both is better for me. I use a Telrad to put the scope in roughly the right spot (there's nothing better on a dob in my opinion) and then a 9x50 RACI finder to tune in. often the latter is not needed as the Telrad gets you straight there and a lot of people don't bother with an optical finder when they have a Telrad. I prefer options though especially as not that many e.g. Messiers are visible in my 9x50.

A Telrad appears to project a pair of concentric circles on the sky that you can use as a sight. The problem with optical finders is they present you with more stars in their field of view and it then becomes difficult to identify your target. A telrad is used like a rifle sight so you place the target star / planet in the centre circle and it should then be in the field of view of a low mag ep.

I use both for the same reasons. I rely more on the telrad but the 9x50 is nice to have just in case you need some mag and aperture to find faint star patterns close to what you want to observe.

Thanks all. I was wondering why I hadn't had e-mails to say I'd got replies then in bed I realised I hadn't checked the box....Doh!!!

Telrad it is as well then. Can anybody recommend a good one for an Explorer 200P and how do they affix to the scope?

Thanks all

Paul

:D

Telrads are all the same, so you just need to pick a supplier to buy it from. They attach by fixing the telrad base unit to the scope with some super strong sticky backed foam pads, and then attach and unattach the telrad body as and when required.

I have just picked up a Telrad, I have decided to get the 2 inch base for it and dew shiled, so its still not on my scope, I was too busy messing with my imaging last night so the Dob cooled down then got put away :D

I use both for the same reasons mentioned above.

I also think some objects like the Pleiadas look really nice through the 9x50 finder as you can get the whole object in the FOV.

hi paul

just got a telrad myself,i found it a lot easier to use than the 9x50 finder.regarding the risers u can get for them,again it comes down to personnel preference.if i were you id get the telrad put it on the scope if your comfy with it then you've saved yourself a bit of money to put towards something else.

HTH

dave

Thanks for all the positive advice guys. I've ordered a Telrad and a 4" riser so that maybe it will 'see over the top' of the eyepiece. Just going out now to assess the weather.

Thanks

Paul

PS I need all the help I can get too.

Archived