Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Attempt went completly wrong

Fogboundturtle

I think a 5inch refractor + 2X Barlow was a pretty bad idea to try to image Saturn. This was my first attempt with the DMK31 I got last week. I also didn't use a IR/UV Filter which only added to abysmal end result. I was very hard to obtain focus. The planet was in the murk the whole time.

My Plan of action for next time around is : Use my C8 and an IR/Uv Cut filter and maybe wait before Saturn gets higher in the sky. I bet the Perigee moon didn't help either.

post-20507-133877549471_thumb.png

Clearly Saturn, which is always a good start. Your 'plan' should produce a good result next time. Take your time over the focus, that makes all the difference. Do you use a focussing mask? If not, using a simple Y-mask will make life a lot easier for you.

I think a 5inch refractor + 2X Barlow was a pretty bad idea to try to image Saturn. This was my first attempt with the DMK31 I got last week. I also didn't use a IR/UV Filter which only added to abysmal end result. I was very hard to obtain focus. The planet was in the murk the whole time.

My Plan of action for next time around is : Use my C8 and an IR/Uv Cut filter and maybe wait before Saturn gets higher in the sky. I bet the Perigee moon didn't help either.

Don't put yourself down... it's good for a 1st attempt.

I've taken your image and zoomed it slightly, then applied a little adjustment to contrast and brightness - there is a fair amount of detail in your image, just need to watch the focussing

post-23388-133877550437_thumb.png

Nowt wrong with that for a first attempt. Focal length is the key to getting the size. Your cat with the larger aperture and increased f/l will yield improved results. Looking forward to seeing the results.......and don't forget the ir filter this time !!!!!!

Thank you all for your encouragement. Its a work in progress for sure.

I do this for my nephew. He is 5 years old and he is very much into astronomy. It all started the day I posted one of my lunar photos on facebook. He now knows more about the solar system then I do. He's very gifted. I want to continue to feed his interest in astronomy. He's favorite planet is Jupiter and Saturn his second.

I got the DMK31 and I have a solar scope on order so I can do more imaging this summer.

Archived