Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn 19th March - different filter combinations

astroman001

The seeing was fair at best and the transparency was poor, but some detail visible in the storm which seems to continue it's march around the globe. Note the prominent dark spot in the storm latitude just rotating off the disk.

With the poor transparency, I was at max gain and 15 fps for R and G but 7.5 fps for B and IR.

I have recently purchased an Astronomik Pro 742 IR filter. The IR images are fainter than the blue channel with my DMK, but I experimented combining the IR + R as a luminance and then did LRGB. The two images at 22:27 UT and 22:47 UT were processed in this manner and showed more detail than the RGB or RRGB versions. The storm was more prominent in the RRGB however

I did not refocus between channels.

I have included a comparison image from 23:36 UT which shows the differences between images combining the various filters.

Still experimenting at the moment.

regards

Peter

post-16528-133877549319_thumb.jpg

post-16528-133877549325_thumb.jpg

post-16528-13387754933_thumb.jpg

Archived