NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn March 18th flex dob (even better seeing)

Space Cowboy

Seeing was even better last night, 8/10 very consistent. Couple of early processed pics here. Frustratingly all avis came out yellow so having trouble getting a decent colour balance. Storm was on show this time which was a bonus!

First image is b&w 6 min avi spc 900 10 fps.

Second image is a weird colour but shows storm detail better.

space-cowboy-albums-saturn-picture9894-cratlerlet-capture-march-18th-0003-castr-dub-bw-1000-st-flipped.png

space-cowboy-albums-saturn-picture9896-saturn-march-18th-800-stack.png

I prefer the BW image Stuart, you darkened the colour one so much, its starting to clip the rings, BW image looks good. was freezing last night after about 1 am. seeing at my location again looked good, but on screen, many many distortions, again i reckon its heat from houses and the cold combining. but im not certain ?

Thanks Clayton, I use 2 different monitors, 3 including my netbook, all have different brightness levels...its tough getting the right level...often if processed at night they look too dark in daylight. Now if you had removed the yellow I would have bought you a drink! Yellow is driving me nuts can't get rid of it without getting red or blue. Auto RGB balance wont touch it.

Cheers James! Good seeing makes such a difference.

Good effort, looks like focus or collimation may be an issue, although it could be just poor seeing. Like the colours in the last one best.

Try to get the B ring a grey colour.

regards

Peter

You could be right about focus/Collimation Peter.

The seeing was good and live capture looked great but I think this was deceiving me. Tracking has been a big problem lately losing alt, have tightened axis some but obviously needs more. This makes focussing very difficult so when it looked good on screen I decided to leave it rather than struggle some more. Unfortunately it looks like another tweak with the focuser may have been needed. The same with collimation, I did this before the scope had properly cooled and was going to check again later but as view looked good on screen left it alone.

I will put this down to experience and be more diligent next time.

Thanks Chris that's a better colour for sure how did you process that?

Using Gimp:

* Stretched the entire histogram using the levels tool.

* Stretched just the blue channel a lot using the levels tool.

* Stretched just the red channel a little.

* Lowered the saturation (Hue-Saturation control) to tone down the yellow further.

* A quick tweak with the curves to bring out a little more detail - not sure that this was really required.

Cheers,

Chris

Archived