NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New DSLR which one?

Fenriz

Hi guys

Im new to all this AP stuff and looking for a new DSLR camera to go with the Skywatcher Explorer 200P I'll be ordering this week, currently looking at either the Canon 1000D or the Nikon D3100, both at the same price.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

If you think that you might want to mod it in future for improved HA response then the Canon 1000D is a better bet... Also supported by yoddah's superb APT...

www.astroplace.net - APT - Introduction

You can also get clip in LP filters for the Canons...

I have one clicking away outside at the moment.. well I did last time I looked...

Billy...

Billy do you have a link to the clip in LP filters for the Canon?

I have one for the scope i use to image but sometimes i like to just use the Canon on a tripod.

Thanks.

Sorry to hijack thread.

you might want to pick up a programable timer remote - or are you going to use it from a computer... The EOS utils that coem with the cmaera will allow remote shooting but APT gives you a lot more flexibility...

Have you ordered the bits to connect it to the scope... ? and a couple of SDHC cards... The Canon battery should be good for 3-4 hours of exposure... so two batteries will keep you going all night as they charge faster than the camera discharges them...

Best of luck for clear skies and most of all "have fun"...

Billy...

EOS utils that comes with the camera is ok for most uses, but not for astro. I've tried, and it's a nightmare as it only accepts 30s subs, unless you use bulb and manually click start and stop. Can't program it to take like 60x 500s subs and go in for the night and let it work, for example.

Well, not fully true i guess, as you Can do like i did and download a free mouseclicking timer, set it to click at the desired times, and place it over the camera button in EOS utils wich is then set at bulb, but hey.. lol..

APT seems better, but have yet to try it. Waiting for clear weather.

When it comes to battery, i have to say, the battery does OK, but getting the DC adapter was the best thing i've bought since the EOS T-ring... :o

Hi Billy

Not exactly sure what else I'm going to need. What will I need to connect the camera to the scope?

Also as I'm only just starting I'm totally jumping in at the deep end, so its going to be a case of simple pictures to start with then move up to multiple exposures and DSOs.

So take it from me I will be asking lots of questions once I get the scope next week.

I have 1 8GB and 1 4GB SDHC cards at the moment, but may look into getting a couple of 16GB, and spare battery will also be ordered soon.

While I am here I may as well ask a few questions now.

1. Does the camera connect to the scope without it lens or with?

2. Is it advisable to leave the scope stored in the garage covered up so it remains at the outside temperature, rather than having to take it outside and leave to cool down?

Thanks for your help

You should need one of these to connect your DSLR:

Adaptors - T Rings

Basically this will screw into the camera body like a lens would. You then end up using the telescope as a massive mirror lens. With this scope you will need to unscrew the 1.25" eyepiece adapter. This will reveal a thread that the T adapter will screw straight into. If you dont do this you will find there is not enough inward travel to achieve focus.

You can take your scope inside and out if you wish, just remember to let it cool to ambient temp before observing or taking photos.

Have fun and anymore questions ask away :o

Looks like you have all the info you need.. i used to use a couple of 4GB cards with the 1000D they are plenty big enough for a nights shooting and you can swap cards and "stack" the data part way through the night at the same time as a battery change if you need one...

Billy...

Thanks for that Digz, T Ring ordered.

As for storing the scope, is it ok to keep the scope in the garage at least then it will always be at ambient temperature as we never know when we will get some clear sky, at least won't need to wait for it to cool down then.

Fenriz, to be honest the time it will take you to move the scope / mount etc, polar align and do your star alignment you wont be far off having the scope cooled to ambient if it were to be stored inside instead of the garage. I guess its just personal preference.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your first image :o

Archived