Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6 Replacement Latitude Adjustment Bolts

Zakalwe

I have a set of the Astro Developments latitude bolts on my NEQ6. I find that the front bolt (the one with the plastic knob) is waaay to long (for the latitude that I live at), and is very close to fouling the counterweights (and can actually foul the c/w locking bolt if the locking bolt is pointing down). Plus, dangling leads from cameras/dew strips etc can catch on the bolt very easily too.

360fc9be.jpg

So I have been searching for alternatives (plus, £24 is pricey for two bolts, TBH).

I have found a supplier of these: Link. The part number that I think will do the job is P1040.10-40. Given that these cost £1.97 each, I reckon that they could be good value. The ends will not have the rounded end that the Astro Developments ones have, but 2 minutes on a sander will sort that out.

Now, all I need to do is source an alternative for the other bolt and we are laughing.

I'll order one of the above during the week and if anyone is interested I'll post my findings here.

Hi, try mossplastics.com, got mine from there, they will even send you free samples!

What you want is an indexed handle, look under handles and knobs - 'positioning components.

I got the female type and used a length of M10 threaded stainless rod cut to size and ground down the end that goes into the mount, screw into the handle, use a couple of M10 nuts locked together and thighten with a spanner, use locktite or supa glue on the threads if you want to be sure of not coming undone.

hope this helps?

Regards

Pete

Pete, nice find...

I too have been looking at replacing the bolts on my EQ5 mount, but at £25 x 2 for a complete set I thought that there must be a cheaper option. Can you post a picture of how you made yours up ?

Hi Malcolm, Yes that's the one I meant. I'm not at home at the moment, but when I get home I'll get some pics, but to be honest its really simple as described in my first post, hardest bit is gringing the end round. Only problem I found with the HEQ5 is that the bolt that goes at the back tends to foul the polar scope cover. I'm currently looking for an alternative to the handle like Astro Developments use but it's probably OK on an EQ6. The problem is that the handle is 25mm longer than the bolt and has a greater diameter. I did manage to get it to work but had to use a much shorter length of threaded rod so would be no good for altitudes greater than about 55.

I agree with you 25 quid is a lot, the knob and handle I got for free as they sent me samples, the threaded rod was 7 quid for a 1m length of M10 and M6.

I got a quote from Moss for the handles and knobs, I think the handle was about 2 and the knnobs vary from 50p to a quid. I was going to make few sets and stick em on e-bay!

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the additional info. I quite agree, I'm sure there is a market for these. I've been as careful as I can with adjusting these bolts, but already the 70mm long one showed signs of curving.

I've sent them an e-mail to them to see if they can supply the clamp handle in this length, and what cost would be... I'm sure complete sets could be made up for less than a tenner...

Hi Steve and Malcolm, I need to perfect a prototype first for the HEQ5. As I said above the indexed handle fouls the polar scope cover on the HEQ5. Hope to do some further work on it as I hate the std bolts. I'm sort of thinking on using a socket headed bolt with some kind of detachable adjusting device? only an idea at the moment. I also make tripod level bubbles for the HEQ5, search on ebay for tripod level. My ebay account is p.youd. If you want one contact me on ebay, I'll give you a discount as a SGL member.

Regards

Pete

You can get an excellent spherical domed end on a threaded rod by chucking it in a drill press and using a rough/ smooth file held at an angle; work the end to give a very good smooth and concentric domed end.

You can get an excellent spherical domed end on a threaded rod by chucking it in a drill press and using a rough/ smooth file held at an angle; work the end to give a very good smooth and concentric domed end.

I think if you do the above, and also drill a recess in the part of the mount that the lower altitude bolts impinges on, then you would remove most chance of the bolts bending.

At my latitude, the lower bolt is bearing on a very angled surface on the mount, which is deflecting the bolt. This is making it harder than necessary to turn, and that is leading to the dreaded bending bolt syndrome. I reckon that a long 6 or 8mm drill bit, pushed through the bolt hole (take care of the threads) would give the bolt end something to register into (you would only need a small indentation in the mount). A dab of grease on the end of the bolt should make a big difference IMHO.

Sy,

Thanks for the link... the only problem I've found whilst searching is that it's hard to find one that has an M10 x 70 stud length at reasonable prices - The first link has them but RS don't (and I have an account with RS so that would of been really useful :o )

• 3 weeks later...

I made a set of replacement bolts for my EQ6 with some M10 stainless threaded rod and 2 X M10 female threaded plastic knobs, I cut the length of them to adjust from 50 - 60 degrees of latitude as I dont see myself ever taking my Scope/Mount off the UK mainland. This shortening looks neater on the top adjuster and prevents any fouling of the polar scope cover on the bottom adjuster. The rounding off of the ends was done on a lathe.

Like Martin_H I used a couple of stainless bolts (got mine made by a friend in the workshop next door to me) and use a spanner to adjust the mount. Might not as good as a threaded end with a plastic cover but it does the job.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...
Lorne, did you araldite the rod to the knobs - or did they have a grub screw ?

Malc, sorry for the delay in replying, I used loctite (thread lock) to keep them in place, not that I think I really need it as I "double nut" tightened them in place.

002dsf.jpg

L.

Malc, sorry for the delay in replying, I used loctite (thread lock) to keep them in place, not that I think I really need it as I "double nut" tightened them in place.

002dsf.jpg

L.

Very nice.... do you take paypal :):p

Like several others I modified a pair of Stainless bolts for the HEQ-5 last weekend... I Just use a ratchet spanner to make the adjustment... I shortened them to cover the UK and shaped the ends...

Billy...

That was my thinking too, the EQ6 isnt really hand luggage sized for taking overseas :)

Archived