Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First 'observing' session...loving it!!

Well, just in from my first proper observing session, and I'm chuffed to bits!!

I set myself some targets tonight..using the star map I found linked on here, (fantastic for a newbie like me), I went about trying to find the Andromeda galaxy, and the Beeive cluster.

Got nowhere with Andromeda, although I did see a greyish fuzz, which I'm hoping was it!! If not, it was fun just searching!!

Struggled with the Beehive cluster too!! It says you can see it with the naked eye...my eyes must be bad, because I couldn't see a thing...but I persevered with my bins..and almost gave in...and then....WOW...there it was!!(Big Whoop in the garden! Sorry neighbours). I was even more excited because throughout the session, I left the starmap indoors, and tried to find the objects just from memory..using neighbouring star markers. Simple stuff I guess to a lot of you guys, but I feel like the 'bees knees' right now!! (Pardon the pun!)

Also looked at the Orion nebula and saw the glimmer of the four stars in there...never thought I'd be able to see that!

All in all.....a fab night!! :((Can you tell I'm excited?) Gimme more! Gimme more!

Vicky.

Got nowhere with Andromeda, although I did see a greyish fuzz, which I'm hoping was it!! If not, it was fun just searching!!

That sounds like andromeda to me. It's a bit low this time of year though, it'll look better in the autumn.

Yep....the bug has definately bitten! Having just started to really get into this hobby, I just can't believe there are so many objects up there to discover!! And all in my back yard with a pair of bins. (Well....enough to be getting on with , anyway..)

And so much more to come....telescopes, photography.....slowly, slowly...one star cluster at a time!

Hi Vicky

I'm so happy for you finding so much In one night , there will be times when it get really hard to find things, but when you do WOW the satisfaction is fantastic

Did you down load stellarium.org/ ? This will help you the most to finding thing

Doug

Essex

Hi Vicky

I'm so happy for you finding so much In one night

Did you down load stellarium.org/ ?

Essex

Thanks Doug! I tried to download stellarium, but my internet connection is so sloooow it indicated it would take over 18hrs to complete!! lol! So I gave up on that one, but thanks to the info on here I found TUBA, and downloaded that instead...just trying to get to grips with it!

Well done Vicky! That's three Messiers in one night

Thanks Michael! I'd never even heard of the Messiers list until trawling this forum. (Great info for us beginners). I found the Binocular Messier Club website that lists 76 objects I should be able to find with my 50 year old (very heavy!!) 8x40 bins. So many to go!! But so excited about the challenge. :(

Thanks Michael! I'd never even heard of the Messiers list until trawling this forum. (Great info for us beginners). I found the Binocular Messier Club website that lists 76 objects I should be able to find with my 50 year old (very heavy!!) 8x40 bins. So many to go!! But so excited about the challenge. :(

And then there is the Caldwell list as well (some easy with bins, some hard in my 8" scope).

Hi Vicky

The program Stellarium should not even take 5 minutes even with a very old computer , think you should try again, every one here has got it or used it at sometime

Good luck

Doug

Essex

I found this astronomy site with a Messier list with descriptions and visibility ratings. I've not found any mention of it on SGL but it looks useful for beginners.

Home

Yep....agreed! Great site. Gives really good idea of objects to aim for with binos! Bookmarked!

Thanks Karen.:o

Archived