NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

numpty newbie looking for saturn

Apologies all for a stupid question, but I'm a novice, and I know Saturn is visible right now, but I don't know where to look for it!

I'm learning my way around the skies, and can identify most of the constellations, so if someone could point me in the right direction with a few markers??

I've only got an old pair of Bins, so not expecting to see much....but I'd like to be able to point and say..'that's where it is!!'

Cheers!

Vicky.

Hello

At the moment Saturn is rising in the east just after 8pm but is probably best viewed later in the night when it's at it's highest between 1-2am in the south

I believe it's in the constellation of Virgo but could be wrong on that

Hi Vicky

I asked the same question last week and don't worry thinking it' a stupid question! You'll find it in the Easterly sky around 10pmish,(that's when I viewed the other night for the 1st time anyway). I know that it peeps over the Eastern Horizon tonight about 2010ish but the advice I got was that optimal viewing was around 0200ish being roughly its highest point to view. It's a sort of yellow/orange coloured bright dot that if you look to the East you can pick out with the naked eye.

If you have access to a computer, download Stellarium which is a free software and is very easy to use. It will show you exactly where it is in the sky at whatever time you choose to view.

Good luck finding it, it's awesome..........(hope I've given you the correct info as I'm a newbie too haha!).

Sky chart copied from "Heavens Above" for 23:30 tonight:

wholeskychart.ashx?lat=51.754&lng=-1.254&size=500&SL=1&SN=1&BW=0&time=55630.97917

It names constellations and planets, but not stars. If you look south, you should find Leo. (I think Leo is one of the few constellations that looks like its "picture" - I can see a crouching lion, facing right.) Take the 2 stars forming the "hindquarters" of the lion, and follow that line down, just over twice the distance between the pointing stars.

Alternatively, look east and Arcturus (bright star at the bottom of Bootes) dominates that part of the sky. Scan right and slightly down to find Saturn. It's not too high in the sky at that time.

Mary

well done for seeing Saturn for the 1st time! something thats never to be forgotten its such a marvel :o

what scope and ep did you use?

ermmm.....not 'quite' a marvel sight for me I'm afraid, with no scope, and just a pair of rusty 50yr old Binos!!! (More like a fuzzy blob! lol!!) But just finding it was the thing for me, being a complete novice and trying to navigate my way around the night sky...being able to nod, and say, (to myself, as the OH is indoors watching telly!), ....there it is!!

Hoping to attend a stargazing night in a few weeks, my first one, so...hopefully..some very nice person might let me take a peek at it through a telescope....introducing me to my own 'Wow' moment!!

Till then, I'll keep on lookin' and keep on learnin'. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Stellarium is very good indeed, and free. If your lucky enough to have an Ipad then another couple of apps are invaluble. Observatory is a really clever clock that also shows all the inner planets, and when they are viewable in darkness. Also shows when they are at there highest. You can skip forward by day, month etc and also by moon phase, so you can pick the darkest nights. Cheap as chips too.

Luminos is a more full featured package, but you can just point the ipad at the sky and it will tell you what is there. Magic. A bit more expensive.

ermmm.....not 'quite' a marvel sight for me I'm afraid, with no scope, and just a pair of rusty 50yr old Binos!!! (More like a fuzzy blob! lol!!) But just finding it was the thing for me, being a complete novice and trying to navigate my way around the night sky...being able to nod, and say, (to myself, as the OH is indoors watching telly!), ....there it is!!

Hoping to attend a stargazing night in a few weeks, my first one, so...hopefully..some very nice person might let me take a peek at it through a telescope....introducing me to my own 'Wow' moment!!

Till then, I'll keep on lookin' and keep on learnin'. :D

Well I hope you do get to see it with a scope at the astro meet then you will have your moment :p

Well I hope you do get to see it with a scope at the astro meet then you will have your moment :D

The 'moment' could be sooner than I thought! Just got the go ahead for an 'early' birthday present and my first scope! (Just need to decide which one!) Would be great to see it in my own back yard...and tempt the OH too to have a peek....:p

• 2 weeks later...
The 'moment' could be sooner than I thought! Just got the go ahead for an 'early' birthday present and my first scope! (Just need to decide which one!) Would be great to see it in my own back yard...and tempt the OH too to have a peek....:D

yes, as night vision asks, have you got one or do you have one in mind? :rolleyes:

yes, as night vision asks, have you got one or do you have one in mind? :rolleyes:

Yep, sure have! After checking the fab info on here, I've decided on the 200P Dob. Just waiting for the call to let me know it's back in stock!!

I was fortunate enough to view through a local Astro society's 6" Dob this week, and got to see saturn for the very first time!!!:D. So, can't wait to get my own scope now!! (Even the OH was impressed! It's a good job, I suppose, 'cos I know the list of 'extra's is gonna grow over the next few months, and the birthday excuse ain't gonna last all year.:hello2:.)

Hi,

Glad to hear that your telescope is getting closer. I do think that the birthday presents should be stretched for as long as possible... at least until it is nearly time for an early Christmas present or three.

Have fun with the new telescope and do let us know when it arrives.

Liz

Archived