Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's a good matt black paint?

opticalpath

Anyone found a particularly good flat black paint they would recommend, for touching up screw heads and odd shiny patches inside the OTA? Some so-called matt paints I've tried in the past aren't particularly effective.

Thanks

Adrian

B&Q blackboard paint (as per pete's suggestion) is good...even better if you add a small amount of dust..drill a hole in a piece of MDF and collect the dust - mix it thoroughly with the paint- you don't need much and you'll have an excellent non reflective solution

Blackboard paint is what I tried in the past but I didn't think it was that good - certainly not as anti-reflective as the inside of my OTA. It was a pretty old tin mind you, so maybe I'll try a new can of the B&Q stuff. The dust sounds a good idea too.

Thanks

Adrian

International Paints Blckboard Paint - Wickes sell it. It will be as black as something thats black in a black place thats very, very black.

Word of warning - it needs to be stirred a lot otherwise it will come out a bit satin/gloss, so get a decent stirrer and stir it VERY throughly before starting work.

DONT apply it too heavily because it dries fast and will dry with runs quite easily. Two thin layers should do the job.

heres some of the international blackboard paint on ebay £5 for 250ml Delivered item number 370485766859

they also do 750ml for £15 Delivered

ps......nothing to do with me i might add, just found it!

I'll add my 2p worth to the stirring recommendation, I tried several common brands and was disappointed untill I started stirring them properly. Stir untill you can't feel any sludge left in the bottom, it's the sludge that makes it matt! :(.

I'll third the stirring. If possible use a small roller sponge(bend the steel handle straight). As A_B says, use two coats. A rollered finish looks utterly superb. I did it to a couple of my ancient Tal newts. Over the moon, with the result.

Andy.

Not used it on an OTA but I've always had good results with cellulouse paint, from car body paint. May even get it water based car paints these days. Usually dries streak free with a good quality brush but better with a roller.

Pete

Archived