NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser on the SW120ED - I've had enough!

OK, there are some who will have read some of my previous threads about movement within the focs assembly on my SW Evostar 120ED. I have spent a fair few hours now on adjusting the focuser, taking a pic, looking at the image and putting it through CCD Inspector. I think I have just about had enough of trying to achieve an image without elongated stars somewhere.

So, hubby has agreed that I can get a new focuser as he has had enough of adjusting the screws out in the cold!! I have a couple of questions.

1) Can I just unscrew the existing focuser and screw on another?

2) What focuser would you recommend?

3) Would it be future proof if I decided to get a CCD in a few years?

Thanks for the help guys.

Hi Sara,

There are 3 screws that hold the focuser on. And there are plenty of third party Crayfords that will simply install back in using the same 3 screws. Baader, William Optics and Moonlite to name a few. Moonlite is what most folks opt for. Or you can really push the boat out with a Feathertouch.

Yes unfortunately, the finderscope shoe goes with the old focuser. Which means either adding a shoe to the tube of the scope or buying a shoe to the new focuser.

Here's the William Optics option, with a pic of the new finderscope rings at the bottom:

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=WOsyntaFocuser

And here's the Moonlite option, note the dual finder shoes:

http://firstlightoptics.com/proddetail.php?prod=mcf2-sfocuser

Can I get the same size finderscope shoe? I ask as that will mean I will need a new finderscope and guidescope as they are both using the shoe size so to speak.

Also, I assume that the screw circled are the one's I'd be unscrewing to change?

post-18339-133877541712_thumb.jpg

If you really want to be overwhelmed by the number rof different focusers available then take a look at the offerings from Telescope Service. :p

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c92_Acc------Focusers.html

The Feather Touch focusers on the second page are the ultimate, but will severely damage your wallet as well. :)

John

I think finderscope shoes are fairly standard, never had much trouble swapping finders between 'scopes.

I've always liked the Moonlite focusers, although they are rather expensive these days - perform very well though, and will have no trouble with a CCD.

The shoe for my finderscope I don't think is a standard size, as when I got another to use as a quidescope, the shoe on that was massively too big and we had to majorly file it down to fit. That will be a problem if the focuser shoe is not a straight fit.

When I changed the focuser on my old 120 Celestron, It was the screws to the right of the ones you have circled that I undone.

I think it may depend on what flange is fitted to your new focuser.

Moonlite or Fethertouch is the way to go for sure, Feathertouch are a work of art in thier own right!!

When I changed the focuser on my old 120 Celestron, It was the screws to the right of the ones you have circled that I undone.

I think it may depend on what flange is fitted to your new focuser.

Moonlite or Fethertouch is the way to go for sure, Feathertouch are a work of art in thier own right!!

For the focuser replacement it is the screws to the left, the ones to the right are for the adapter that goes down from 120mm to 96mm. By leaving the adapter in place, the 120 can take the standard ED80/ED100 96mm flange focuser size. :)

The shoe for my finderscope I don't think is a standard size, as when I got another to use as a quidescope, the shoe on that was massively too big and we had to majorly file it down to fit. That will be a problem if the focuser shoe is not a straight fit.

The finderscope shoe(s) on the Moonlite will be standard Synta size, so if the finderscope fits in the SW120 shoe, it should fit in the Moonlite shoe.

For the focuser replacement it is the screws to the left, the ones to the right are for the adapter that goes down from 120mm to 96mm. By leaving the adapter in place, the 120 can take the standard ED80/ED100 96mm flange focuser size.

Can you just confirm which screws to change the focuser, as I have a moonlite, in orange, on order!!

I'm guessing a bit, but the standard I think is the larger size. The Small would fit my little Konus (ST80 alike) and that has a flange diameter of about 85-88mm I can't remember exactly, sorry, it was a long time ago I took it apart.

The Synta standard (Skywatcher) format flange is a direct fit for Synta manufactured scopes such as Celestron 6" refractor, Orion's 150mm, 120mm, 100mm, and 80mm refractors, Orion's ED80, ED100, and ED120, Vixen's ED80FS, ED100SF, Sky Watcher Pro Series P80, P100, P120, ED-APOs, and all EQ5 series. It is collimatable and rotatable and has twin dove tail finder brackets.

The Synta small (Skywatcher) format flange is a direct fit for Synta manufactured scopes such as Orion's short tube 80 and 90, SW 80mm F5, Stellarvue AT1010 NightHawk, Synta 90MM F5.6, Discovery 90mm F5.6, Konus 90mm F11, and Meade model 390 90mm F11. It is collimatable and rotatable and has twin dove tail finder brackets.

Just bin the standard focuser - its rubbish coated rubbish with rubbish filling.

This is a high-volume bit of mechanics and if you get a good-un' - fine but any 'fix' you do is only going to be temporary on a Lemon.

A Moonlite is a significant and worthwile upgrade. A Baader Steeltrack ditto.

An FT is maybe a little OTT given their price and not really any better than a Moonlite.

Good luck!

Thanks Russ - Just out of interest then - What do the screws to the right in the OTA do?

They hold the flange to the bare tube.

Some focusers come with a flange fitted in which case its these screws, some are a smaller size and fit to your existing flange in which case it's the ones you circled.

By all accounts most are the smaller size, the GSO crayford I fitted to my 120mm had the larger flange already on it and bolted directly to the tube.

What ever you do don't throw the focuser. You may want to put it back on if you sell the 120 and transfer the moonlite to the another tube. Or the focuser is worth an easy £35-40 if single speed or more if dual speed. And it will sell in no time.

A Feathertouch is futureproofed till well after the big crunch...

There is no big deal with finders. You only need a drill and a bolt and you will find something somewhere on your setup just waiting top have a hole drilled in it. Avoid the Feathertouch and, in general, anything made of glass...!!!

Olly

I replaced the stock focuser with a TS crayford version...

There's usually a M4 screw hole ( it may have a grub screw in it - to keep the dust out :)) on the body of the focuser,

This can be removed and used to mount a standard TS finder shoe....

Now I have a pretty solid TS Crayford ( yes I know its not a Moonlight!!) with a finder shoe attachment.

A Feathertouch is futureproofed till well after the big crunch...

There is no big deal with finders. You only need a drill and a bolt and you will find something somewhere on your setup just waiting top have a hole drilled in it. Avoid the Feathertouch and, in general, anything made of glass...!!!

Olly

Olly,

First time I read this I thought you said "Avoid the Feathertouch" I nearly choked!!!!!

A re - read quickly restored order as you meant avoid drilling into that fine piece of astro gear which will move from scope to scope with you....

Archived