Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

first barn door tracker

Tadakun

made it today with the help of my father-in-law. thank god he's a carpenter by trade. I got to learn how to use table saw, band saw, belt sander, and drill press. overall it took me about 5 hours to build excluding paint dry time. Here she is mounted on my Manfrotto 4x5 tripod! Overall i didn't cost me a dime cause my father-in-law has all the stuff laying around his woodshop.

5490320928_16650097f7_z.jpg

5490320210_1ce68794f2_z.jpg

5490319502_a87da8f977_z.jpg

5490318830_5a22cb1477_z.jpg

it's a beautiful clear night so I'll be giving her a test run, and if im lucky we'll get to see some aurora borealis. we are above 50 degrees latitude so maybe we'll luck out!

modifications added tonight after trial run last night. I added a home made scope to align the hinge with polaris, a light so that I can read the gear wheel, and modified the pointer so that I turn the wheel with more accuracy. all in all it worked amazingly!

5493078071_06854c97fe_z.jpg

5493670430_21a123cb5f_z.jpg

5493669874_95507ea767_z.jpg

check out my first real successful shot of Orion!

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/132612-2nd-shot-barn-door.html#post1721448

I,m impressed, who needs fancy technology !! Good old wood

your last three words made me laugh only because my father in laws working buddy is a good ol Irish boy, and the "wood" jokes are always streaming along.:)

So what is the rate you have to turn that wheel?

The wheel is marked every 30 degrees. So you turn the wheel at 30 degrees every 5 seconds.

However with a wide angle lens you only have to turn the wheel 180 degrees once every 30 seconds. Because with a wide angle you won't get noticeable startrails until 30seconds of exposure. Normal focal length is 90 degrees every 15 seconds. Normal is roughly something like 40-60mm. 70mm and up is 30 degrees every 5 seconds.

Very professional job you have done there. I like the illuminater.

Thanks. The light was a 3 dollar LED book light from a craft store and I bought red cellophane. I used to have red photography strobe filters but I've misplaced them.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm amazed at the detail in your image. I have just built myself one of these mounts for my camera. Can't wait to give it a try now.

Chris

once you get the timing down (it's really easy) it works near perfectly.:D good luck!

awesome tracker. guess i´m gonna build one too OBAMA self, but probably gonna go for a 2-hinge solution. guess it gives it more stability. i hope i can still walk in the workshop, its so full of stuff...

OBAMA self? lol I'm sorry I'm lost :D hmm I think that I used a 2" hinge too. I wouldn't recommend a piano hinge because they are flimsy, just want to find one with the least amount of play.

Archived