Saturn from a couple of nights ago

geoff_k

No sooner do the skies clear a bit, the wind gets up. You can't win!

However, refusing to be daunted, I got this image of Saturn. Taken with my Orion Optics F4.8 250mm Newtonian, 3 x Barlow, and Toucam Pro. Composite of three different AVI's of about 2000 frames. Post-processing in Registax and Paint Shop Pro.

Not great, but you should have seen what I chucked away.

Conditions will get better - won't they?

post-13129-13387732582_thumb.jpg

That's a beautiful Saturn image Geoff. You've got your scope nicely collimated by the looks of it. The wind is helpful when imaging something like Saturn cos it generally improves the seeing. The fast exposures get over any shake.

I am just amazed at what can be achieved with a flippin webcam. I'm going to have to get one. But only after I learn how to use my DSI first.

That is one good picture of the ringed planet. I wish to h--l I could get some sky up here. I am getting pretty depressed, I was hoping to be throwing images at SGL long before now. At least looking at the work of all you other guys is keeping my spirits aove danger level.

Barkis. :D

Hi Blinky

These are the settings that I use with the Philips Vrecord software for the Toucam:

Video Format = IYUV

Video Size = 640x480

Frame Rate = 5

In the Video Properties:

IMAGE CONTROLS

Auto Exposure off (obviously)

Brightness at about 50%

Gamma at 0%

Saturation (or should it be Saturnation?) varies but more rather than less.

Contrast can't be altered.

CAMERA CONTROLS

White Balance set to Auto

Exposure Shutter Speed 1/33 sec

Gain - see below

I start with the Gain very high as it helps when acquiring the image. I focus trying to get separation between the rings and the main body of the planet. If I can do that even at high gain, Bingo! I then reduce the Gain as much as I can until I judge it looks right.

As already stated, use of the features Registax offers can work wonders on a image. There are some good tutorials knocking around which are a must read. Also make sure you are using Version 4, which is the latest and best.

I have to stress that with my Newtonian I have to collimate fairly regularly. The other overriding thing is seeing. Without good seeing all the settings and fiddling in the world will come to nothing. You can have a telescope the size of Mount Palomar in your back garden but you will still get crud (admittedly very large crud).

This is an image I took last year around the middle of February. I would to like to think I could have improved on it, but the weather shut me out for virtually all of the six weeks until the clocks changed at the end of March. By then, Saturn was in an unfavourable position. So that was it.

Keep trying. You will get there in the end.

Geoff

post-13129-13387732586_thumb.jpg

I meant to add that what I do in Registax is to use the wavelets in combination with the histogram/RGB align, Brightness and Contrast options. However, the settings will vary. After that, I do further processing in either Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop if necessary.

It's too easy to over-process, and after a while you get a feeling for what looks right and what doesn't.

Geoff

That's a beautiful Saturn image Geoff. You've got your scope nicely collimated by the looks of it. The wind is helpful when imaging something like Saturn cos it generally improves the seeing. The fast exposures get over any shake.

Not with the winds we've been having. In some cases, I lost so many frames the capture was a write-off.

Archived