Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Looking for a good star atlas - suggestions?

G'day -

I've got Stellarium up and running but I'm finding that when you get in close it's not all that accurate for stars around mag 8-10 (many are missing even after downloading the optional data sets). It also often shows a star where another object (nebula, cluster, galaxy, etc) should be.

SO...to augment my star hopping I'm looking for a good star atlas that goes through about mag 9 I think. Any suggestions?

Wil Tirion's Sky 2000 atlas is hard to beat. If you want to go down in magnitude further the Uranometria series is the answer.

(J Torres has a website where you can download similar atlases but then you need to print them and you'll probably be limited to A4 sheets - many, many of them!)

You can down load more stars for stellarium I think...or there is a mag 8.5 atlas on the web just put in Toshimi Taki..

Many others I am sure those on this forum will point you to..

You can buy Uranometria but it is not as practical for use at the scope as sheets in laminate etc..

Mark

Archived