Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler 12mm Type 4 or 13mm Type 6

im trying to decide between these 2 eyepieces. i wear glasses which is why im drawn to the type 4 because of the extra er

however the weight of the eyepiece does concern me as ive read that its quite large i own 2 tv radians 3mm and a 5mm is the type 4 that much heavier that i would have to re-balance the scope when swapping the eyepieces around ?

also there is a big difference in price at the moment about £50 with the type 6 being the cheaper one

any input would be appreciated does anyone on hear use the 13mm type 6 with glasses ? are there any other differences between them ?

jake

I loved the 13mm T6 when I had one and still lust a bit for it, even though I've a 13mm Ethos now. If you wear glasses however I think you may find the 12mm eye relief of the 13mm a little tight. It's not helped by the rather inflexible rubber eyecup that they incorporated into the T6 design. The T4 12mm has 17mm of eye relief and a softer eye cup which has the "Instajust" feature - that combination may just make it a winner for you :rolleyes:

I loved the 13mm T6 when I had one and still lust a bit for it, even though I've a 13mm Ethos now. If you wear glasses however I think you may find the 12mm eye relief of the 13mm a little tight. It's not helped by the rather inflexible rubber eyecup that they incorporated into the T6 design. The T4 12mm has 17mm of eye relief and a softer eye cup which has the "Instajust" feature - that combination may just make it a winner for you :rolleyes:

those are my thoughts its just the weight of the eyepiece that im really not sure about. i had a baader hyperion 5mm which was a heavy [removed word] but from what i have read the 12mm type 4 is even heavier

those are my thoughts its just the weight of the eyepiece that im really not sure about. i had a baader hyperion 5mm which was a heavy [removed word] but from what i have read the 12mm type 4 is even heavier

Yes that's an issue:

Nagler T6 13mm = 6.4oz

Nagler T4 12mm = 16.2oz

The T6 is a remarkably compact package :rolleyes:

Yes that's an issue:

Nagler T6 13mm = 6.4oz

Nagler T4 12mm = 16.2oz

The T6 is a remarkably compact package :rolleyes:

that is quite a difference. my radians are 12.8 and 12.3 with the type 4 being 16.2 do you think there would be a balance issue when swapping?

Tele vue are doing a 20% off promotion atm. Maybe worth paying the extra and buying new?

Alan :rolleyes:

i was going to try 2nd hand just incase i wasnt keen on the ep at least then i could sell it back on and not lose to much money if any

but it would appear the 12mm t4 don't come up for sale very often

that is quite a difference. my radians are 12.8 and 12.3 with the type 4 being 16.2 do you think there would be a balance issue when swapping?

It depends on the scope and mount combo you are using. TV sell a thing called the "Equaliser" which adds weight to lighter eyepieces to bring them close to the heavier ones. It's not exactly a low cost accessory though :rolleyes::

Adapter-Equalizer 2"-1.25"

Hi Jake

I am lucky enough to have the 12mm type 4 and it"s a superb eyepiece.

It was the first Nagler I bought and still my favorite.

You won't be worried about what counter weighting you have to do once you've looked through it.

You will have to get some counter weighting sorted anyway cause once you've owned a Nagler, it won't be long before you start longing for that big low power wide field grenade.:rolleyes:

Regards Steve

Hi Jake

I am lucky enough to have the 12mm type 4 and it"s a superb eyepiece.

It was the first Nagler I bought and still my favorite.

You won't be worried about what counter weighting you have to do once you've looked through it.

You will have to get some counter weighting sorted anyway cause once you've owned a Nagler, it won't be long before you start longing for that big low power wide field grenade.:rolleyes:

Regards Steve

yes its definitley the ep im going for. i'm waiting for telescope house to refund an ep i returned to them almost a week ago they are certainly taking their time until they do i wont get the nagler :eek:

I have the 12T4 and it too was my first and only Nagler. In my 10" Dob it gives me x100 and it is my most used ep. I have an Ethos 8mm and an Ethos 17mm but so far the quality of the 12T4 has stopped me buying a 13E.

sounds like i would be doing you a favour by taking it off your hands:)

Just to add to the discussion I have a 12mm T4 Nagler and it performs well in all of my telescopes. I have had a 13mm Ethos for some time (which I love) but I kept my 12mm T4 as well (I often run two scopes at the same time when observing). I have done an A-B comparison with a 13mm Type 6. The type 6 was quite excellent, but I preferred the better eye relief of the T4. Both are in my view excellent oculars.

I do feel strongly that eyepieces are a highly personal choice and are of course influenced by your telescopes spec. If you can get to an observing gathering and get a look through these different bits of glass the effort will I believe pay off.

That said as a fully paid up member of Uncle Al's fan club I don't think you can go wrong with a TV! But I am unashamedly biased

Archived